Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Cali 76 Bass Compressor

Discussion in 'Bass Pedals, Effects & Preamps' started by ectoflanger, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi Lenore! :)

ectoflanger and DiMarco like this.
  2. ectoflanger

ectoflanger

How did you know she was there? That’s cool.

I pulled my last post because, though I started the thread, it was inspired by DiMarco.

But I was working on Chapter 63 between my Forum posts so here’s the clip I was referring to-

“Leia got out of the pool and headed for the spa. Caleb was about to ask her to join them, but she just smiled and waved, content to allow them some privacy.

Lenore turned to Caleb.

“Would you like to sit in the hot tub for a bit?”

3. ectoflanger

ectoflanger

I’m back at the boat to do some fiberglass work and will be out of comm for an hour or so.

Marco- if you got caught up on HV and care to read more just email or PM me-

Nice seeing y’all !

4. ectoflanger

ectoflanger

So, please don’t infer this as being facetious but on my Vette Fretless four loaded with flats, this little device seemed, at least when it was just the two of us on my boat with the Genz , to emulate a fair amount of the qualities attributed to a compressor -

31683ED9-87BA-44DF-A6D1-7B56F3FD44C5.jpeg

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  5. ectoflanger

ectoflanger

I lost some beer over that last post- don’t know what happened I was drinking as I was typing in the v-berth, got up to get the device whilst still drinking and the beer just shot out of the top and made a mess. I had to set it in the sink till it settled down, then mop up the floor. Maybe I unwittingly compressed it.

Now I may have to get another just to calm my nerves

Florin likes this.
  6. ectoflanger

ectoflanger

And I got two more Flo- :D

Florin likes this.
  7. Florin

Nice! My last shows with my band I played my fretless streamer with a pick, soundguy said he didn't used any compression. Interesting feeling, as the fretless sound have a soft attack but a pretty solid body, so it lets the kick breathe, and the big fat sound follows. I am using In ear monitoring, and my bass volume is pretty blanced with the mix in my earphones, so if I play too hard I feel like playing alone, if I play too soft I don't hear myself, so I follow the band's dynamics. And I kinda use only first finger of my left hand when playing, while the rest 3 of them are acting as a natural compressor, I "palm mute" some of the notes with the left hand, and I let others breathe.
    I also had a pretty interesting discussion with the sound guy who is also a very good bassist, and he told me that the key is to really understand my role there- moving the subwoofers the right way, not necessarily playing too complex lines. He made me understand that my sound goes to some really slow and lazy woofer cabinets, no matter how bright and snappy I make my sound, so my role is to bring the low end to the wall of guitars that are pretty tight.
    Interesting perspective, isn't it? At the end of the day, we move the subwoofers, and we need to be careful with note lenght, and let the bass breathe, as the crowded basslines are useless at least in my band context.

ectoflanger likes this.
  8. ectoflanger

ectoflanger

So what type of in-ear monitors do you use? I’m guessing they’re wireless for sure.

9. Florin

I cannot afford fancy stuff lately, but I know some "hidden secrets" :) Westone UM2 is one of them, I found them with 100 EUR on ebay, and they are awesome. And yes, a wireless sennheiser EW300 IEM, 1st generation, bought cheap from ebay. The nice thing about Sennheiser is that I use "focus mode" It means I plug my Sans Amp output directly to one channel, and the full band mix with no bass in the other channel. I am hearing mono of course, and the "pan" pot on the receiver acts as a blend between the two signals.

Bassist4Eris and ectoflanger like this.
  10. ectoflanger

ectoflanger

I was looking into the Sennheiser wireless sets for a filmmaking project- well, I wanted to do a short film of the HV teaser, but the logistics were too much so I decided to continue writing.

But I found out about them when I was helping out a friend who was the set designer on an independent film here in Texas.

The sound man was showing me on a break that all the principle actors had hidden wireless microphones on them, and there were about a dozen of these Sennheiser units taped and plugged in to the mixing console in addition to a large boom mic.

Bassist4Eris and Florin like this.