Cab and Amp querry

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Eberbachl said:
SOme says that the drivers are cooling by the movement, so if you play them at 100W they can overheat and fry

I'm very sorry Florin, but this is simply NOT true.

It is completely safe to use a 100 watt head (or less!) with a 1000 watt cab, assuming you don't send the head into clipping.

It's just like running a 500 watt head at low volume. Speakers don't require large amounts of cone movement for cooling.

Of course a cabinet will be at it's most efficient if you are using a head that produces clean power at something close to the cabinet's power rating, and of course Florin is right that ANY head that is sent into clipping will damage ANY cabinet.

But - it is not true that it is unsafe to use a lower power head with a higher rated cab as long as you refrain from clipping the head.

;)

Well, that's why I started with "some say" :) I think you have a good point.
I don't think using a big cabinet at low volume will damage it (if the amp is not clipping), the cooling explanation doesn't sound good to me either. But I heard it more than once, so I mentioned this argument here. But the No 1 argument was that it will not sound good. A 1000W cab will not sound good at 50 or 100 W :)

Reaction score
;)

'Tis true that a 1000w cab will sound better with a 2000w head turned up to less than halfway head than with a 50w head cranked to the max.

Believe it or not - I must admit, I hacked my Blue Cab 20, and made a speaker out jack on the back of it so I can disconnect the internal driver and add an external cab.

Why you ask?

Just for fun :D I never expect to use it outside my study for practice, and it was great fun to do.

Surprisingly - with the Blue Cab 20 disconnected from it's internal driver and plugged in to a WCA211Pro it sounds great!

:D

Not as good as with a Pro FET 5.1 of course, but quite cool nonetheless.

:lol:

Florin

OG
Reaction score
It will become a yogi cab, it will move the inner cones! Sorry, bad joke...

Reaction score
Mr Bassman Sax said:
Will a 100watt head even move cones for a a 1000watt cab?

Yes of course it will, and it will still sound just as loud as a 100w head plugged into a 300w cab.

The loudness only depends on the power produced by the head and efficiency of the cab itself, not the wattage rating of it.

;)

Top Bottom