Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Burbon incident and my tube path 5.1

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by rusty, Dec 14, 2007.

1. rusty

rusty Fatburger bassist

Last month we were playing a gig in outback aussie, I made the foolish mistake of putting a nearly full can of bourbon & coke on top of my amp. (something I dont normally do, but the song started quicker than anticipated!! Mid Gulp!!).

Anyhow, about a 1/4 way into the song, the drummer yells my name out loud and points to the now empty can of burbon on its side on top of my amp, shortly followed by sizzle and "pop Crack Fizzz" nosies coming out of the speakers! I thought I had just blown up my best rig! The stage was a bit wobbly and I move around a bit, the can tipped over. I quickly hit the power switch and called over the stage guy. He patched me into a DI and I finished the gig through the foldback wedge. I was very upset with myself.

After the gig the sound guy & I took the amp out of the rack & removed the top panel to survey the damage done. Armed with only a can of CRC and a air blower can (used normally for computer keyboards), we cleaned out all the burbon and muck off the circut boards and chassis (including the valves). hooked up a speaker & my bass and held our breath.

Plugged it in and fired it up & hey presto..... she worked like a charm! I used that amp for the next 10 gigs without a problem what so ever appart from the strong smell of CRC when it got warm!

Im back in Melbourne now & the amp is being serviced by a professional. He is also putting in some nice sovtek 12AX7's rather than the chinese ones they come with. Cant wait to get it back.

This thread just goes to show you that even with a nearly full can of burbon & coke spilled directly into the amp, with just a can of CRC and air, I finished the tour. A happy ending to what could have been an expencive disaster. Good on you Warwick for making robust amps!! And I have learnt my lesson by keeping drinks away from my gear!

Cheers

Rusty

2. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

G'day Rusty.I'm glad your favourite amp made it out ok.It's a testament to the quality of Warwick amps.

3. Stroud

Stroud

great story. made me smile :wink: (and gave me even more faith in my amps) :D

4. Bassman68

Bassman68

That's why i ALWAYS save the JD & coke till after the gig!!! :twisted:

5. rusty

rusty Fatburger bassist

I'll keep that in mind :lol: But I think there is a market for a company to make amps with drink holders!!

They would sell thousands :roll:

Cheers

Rusty

6. Mr Bassman Sax

Mr Bassman Sax

Motorhead have pint holders on their mic stands. And Philthy Animal Taylor had optics on his cymbal rack.

7. Andrew O

Andrew O

that reminds me of a time that i put a starbucks drink on my amp , and i was jamin and all the sudden, the drink falls off and the cup explodes. it was a frozen drink so i just picked it up and put it in a different cup, finished (paid 5 bucks, why not?). maybe there is a cup holder somewhere.