Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Building A Solid Tone As A Modern Bassist

Discussion in 'Audio / Recording / Live' started by DiMarco, Aug 30, 2020.

1. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

How do you do it?

Please state what your gigs look like. Is your sound usually reinforced? Do you like your cab to be mic'd up or do you use a cab modeller/impulse response loader? Or will a simple dry D.I. box signal suit your needs?

Do you rely on your amplifier for your tone or do you completely shape your tone on your pedalboard?

Why I ask these questions: In the old days there would be just a D.I. box and maybe an SM57 mic at the bass cab but that was that. Nowadays there are SO many ways to shape and perfect your sound as a bassist. Think of IR loaders, amp modellers and the huuuge amounts of GREAT pedals we get to use as a bassist nowadays. I for one ALWAYS play through my Cali76cb compressor since it makes the whole band sound more solid because my signal is less spikey. Should I run the compressed or uncompressed signal to FOH? I am not sure... To what level am I responsible for what comes out of the P.A. in the end?

I wonder what your thoughts are about this and if you feel responsible for what your bass sounds like through FOH.

Cheers, Marco

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Nachobassman likes this.
  2. Bademeister

Bademeister Supporting Member

Jens
    I probably don‘t have a solid tone, neither am I a modern bassist, but here you go :)
    For me, the key is flexibility and to know my equipment, because I never know what I get in terms of PA and FOH person. In the worst case, I have to do most of it myself. Usually, I would provide my „best“ sound incl. compression, distortion, EQ etc. to FOH and expect the FOH to take care of potential additional EQ in order to accomodate the room acoustic.

DiMarco likes this.
  3. Hardy

Hardy Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

I use good working equipment and hope for the qualities of the sound guy. I send a clean signal, only the one or two pedals are between bass and amp. I sold my Ampeg SVT because it mostly was louder than the PA and drove the FOH people crazy. What else can you do than trusting the people who are paid to look for the right sound?

DiMarco likes this.
  4. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

A classic PBass sound is the real modern bass sound, hahaha :)
    For the other modern sound, I think the key is to have separate lows and high channels. Controlled deep lows, and crispy saturated highs. Let the engineer blend them by taste, or blend them yourself and sent one channel to FOH :)
    You can do this with a pretty complex rig, or you can do it in the box, with a processor like HX STOMP.

DiMarco likes this.
  5. Gnermo

Gnermo

Just put Darkglass on everything lmaooooooo :rolleyes:

6. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

I wonder if any FOH guys are using IR loaders nowadays if needed. I never liked the sound of a bare bassguitar signal D.I. I also wonder if the channelstrip on a console can mimic a cab by rolling off treble far enough and compressing the lows

The Avalon U5 has nice tone shaping, the TwoNotes Le Bass pre can switch on cab emulation on its D I. signal. Most D.I. boxes however sound cold and useless if the bassist uses any dirtboxes.

7. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

People losing their minds with Fractals, Darkglass, IRs, profilers, etc.... I've been using my trusty SansAmp BDDI since 2001 and never heard a single complain about it, either using its d.i. out or before a miked amp.

Guess I'm a simple guy in that matter. :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    Hardy likes this.
  8. Hardy

Hardy Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

A simple guy with a FAT sound!

Nachobassman likes this.
  9. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

Other thing I reckon is a must for a solid tone is using new strings. Both my 'wicks love new strings, but I rather use nickels instead of steels because I kinda hate extra bright sound. I prefer mellow-bright tones over ultra modern sharp brights.

For my Streamer LX4 I usually avoid bright strings because it is already an ultra bright bass.
    OTOH, the Infinity SN 5 is less bright and more a mid-low growler

The rest comes from my playing, I guess. ;)

Florin and Hardy like this.