Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Bubinga vs. Ovangkol

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Genral Specific, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Genral Specific

Genral Specific

All other things being equal, how would a bass sound different with bodies made of these two woods? Is Ovangkol brighter? Does some wood work better for some types of pickups?

2. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

They are very similar, but it seems to me that bubinga is slightly brighter than ovangkol. But that's really overthinking it. Depending on the piece of wood you get, it could go either way.

Oh, and... what is, "Push It" by Tool. ;)

3. noodles

noodles

When slapping an open E-string acoustically on my Thumb BO 5 vs. my Vette std 5, the Thumb seems brighter and the Vette is deeper and more "bonky" sounding. Although I'm sure the Wenge neck has something to say on the Vette. Both were strung with DR lo riders. To my ears, Ovangkol has more "bank" and Bubba has more "bonk". Confused yet?

4. flipper_gv

flipper_gv

I find ovangkol being a bit more "airy" than bubinga. It is also a bit less compressed IMO, very small difference here though. I also think that the biggest focus in bubinga (in terms of frequencies) is a bit lower than ovangkol (if ovangkol would be at 300-350 Hz, bubinga would be at 250 Hz).

5. Genral Specific

Genral Specific

I am asking for your guys help because I am considering buying a CS bass. If I got a streamer with the same woods and P/U configs as my Thumb, wouldn't it sound about the same? I have considered getting a Corvette with backwards P-bass neck pickup and an Ovangkol body. I also wondered what a Streamer LX with a Bubinga body would sound like. I really want another Thumb with room for more knobs so I can put the preamp in I want. Does anybody have any input? Thanks.

PS> Who is Maddrakkett and why does he have a "Cafe"? I have yet to be served a cup of coffee there. I challenge the "Cafe" title.

6. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

7. MaxOnBass

MaxOnBass The Chatbox Troll

is it weird that I think I understood this? (at least I think) :lol:

8. noodles

noodles

"Bonk" sounds like a lower frequency and "Bank" is a little higher. The strange terms come from my complete lack of musical training.

You should have heard how the guys in the band I was in would describe parts of our songs. "...you MEAN the part with the DO-DO-DO'S? No, the part with the ERR-ERR-DO'S"

It's all about imitating the sounds of our instruments with our mouths. Onomatopoeia is your friend!

9. MaxOnBass

MaxOnBass The Chatbox Troll

then I understood it well :)

10. Pedro

Pedro

lol man that is so true in any band situation