Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Broken In Against New Flatwound Strings

Discussion in 'Bass Strings' started by Jay2U, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Jay2U

Jay2U Good Vibe Sponsor

In this short video broken in Ernie Ball flatwounds are compared with a brand new set.

RIP and imabuddha like this.
  2. imabuddha

imabuddha

Thanks for posting this. I’m sure that my flatwound Chromes had a bit more zing when they were new 10 months ago, but they still sound great after lots of play.

Earlier this year I bought Peterson’s iStroboSoft tuning app and the harmonic IAP. With it I can see that the strings are still rich in harmonics, which agrees with what my ears are hearing.

I also found a huge improvement in tone, clarity, sustain, and lack of noise after upgrading to the SS1 from the Rockbass Corvette (as one would expect). It’s an interesting comparison because I transferred the 10 month old chromes from the old bass to the new one.

RIP likes this.
  3. Jay2U

Jay2U Good Vibe Sponsor

The Ernie Ball flatwounds I use are almost indistinguishable from Chromes. I use them because I can buy single strings, in order to tune B, E, A, D. I always write the date of installation on the package. Right now they've been on the Ibby for almost a year. They still hold tuning very well, as well as intonation.

imabuddha likes this.