Boutique instrument cords- worth the extra money?

Reaction score
Today, I bought a Mogami Gold instrument cable to replace my day in/out rehearsal cord that was starting to fizz and crackle whenever I bumped the jack while sitting down. It had been the first time in a while since I had purchased a guitar/bass cable, and there were a lot of expensive ones at the music store-- for example there was a particular Monster Cable model that claimed to be custom-tailored for bass guitar. Does anyone have any comments/recommendations regarding boutique instrument cables?

Reaction score
I use Mogami cables for everything when possible. Imo, they make fantastic cables for the money...without tone bias. I've used the bass-specific Monster cable before, and preferred the Mogami platinum instrument cable. The Monster bass cable (imo) definitely enhanced the lows...not something I was after, with my Hellborg amplification.

That said, there is much debate (can of worms?) out there about the need for expensive cables...:)

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback-- I'll go ahead and unpackage it and put it to use then. Maybe it''ll get rid of some noise as well- i currently live on a boat and the power at the dock via my inverter charger causes some line noise when I play my Corvette standards and Fender guitars.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
The problem with tone is if you THINK it works it works.
Wether or not any differences can be measured is of no importance.
You feel better playing with a fancy cable you will most probably actually play better.

Me I use the cheapest chinese cables there are as I hear no difference what soever between monsters or these cheap strands of copper.

Reaction score
Actually I was looking for better build quality that would preclude or delay internal breakage due to accidental/incidental strain at the point where the conductor attaches at the jack ends while plugged into my instruments-- if this results in better tone, or line noise reduction, then that's just a bonus.

Reaction score
I've got a couple of Whirlwind cables that are over 20 years old. They are just great but I needed some back-ups due to age. They are 100% noiseless buy I worry. :). I couldn't find good quality cables at the local shops.

Years ago I tried a Monster cable and it just didn't last. I got frustrated and just tossed it in the bin. More recently I ordered a Mogami cable on line. Build quality was as good or better than my old reliable Whitlwinds. What I like most about it is the silent connection. See the pic below. How long it will last remains to be seen.

In terms of sound, I honestly find no significant difference, but the quality of build and materials is very high.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401181249.461911.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
+1. I can´t hear any difference between my cables. I have simple but tough cables in our band room and high quality tweed cables at home.

Some years ago I used silent plug cables too, but the mechanism alway broke after some time.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I took one full day of blind testing different cables, and my experience is that a good cable can improve pretty much your sound compared to a low level cable. Also keep in mind that if you feel "just a little difference" in the rehearsals room, that will be MUCH bigger in live situation.

Saying that, I worked well with Monster Cable- Bass, and also with Spectraflex. I use Mogami cables for interconnects.
And they sound better, no matter what I think. At a blind test I can clearly hear the difference, and I can clearly say which one I prefer.

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback-- I still have cables I purchased back in the late-80's when I was living in Bermuda. A music store there had their own in different colors-- I've wondered if over time, the signal degraded due to internal wear and tear where the conductor meets the jack. Anyhow I'll definitely consider the Monster Cable- Bass in the future for bass recording.

It makes sense that a better conductor would make a difference with a low voltage and low current like what comes out of an instrument. When I rewired my boat, I used much heavier gauge wiring for the 12 volt DC circuits than for the 115 volt AC circuits to counteract voltage drop, particular over long runs.

Reaction score
I purchased a Pig Hog High Performance Cable two years ago from Sam Ash. It still feels better and sounds better than anything else I've used in the past 51 years. It is very flexible and soft. The ends are also soldiered, not screwed on, so no worry about bad connections if they become unscrewed. I think I paid about $40. One end is straight, the other is angled at 90 degrees.

Top Bottom