Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Boss bass synth SYB5 pedal

Discussion in 'Audio / Recording / Live' started by ectoflanger, May 16, 2009.

1. ectoflanger

ectoflanger

Has anyone owned one? If so I would like to find out how many sounds it can produce.

2. Callum

Callum

I've not tried the Boos synth stuff, but have a Korg G5 and the ibanez pedal. the ibanez is pants, just distorted auto wah. The korg G5 is great similar to the Akai deep impact pedal.

I've heard mixed reviews about the boss pedal, as for sounds it can make i'd look on youtube, i when i was looking into getting my Korg G5 i was on youtube looking for clips.

quick search showed this:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLwAQMTAUKY]YouTube - BOSS SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer Demo (with bassplaying)[/ame]

If your in the market for a synth pedal i'd wait for the new Mark Bass one that looks like its going to be something really special!

3. sjw1971

sjw1971

I'm generally a Boss fan, but their bass synth pedal just didn't do it for me. It is too techno sounding - so if that's what you're after, then go for it. I played it for about an hour at the store and then played the Digitech unit for about 5 minutes before realizing the Digitech was what I was after. I'm not a big Digitech fan, but in this case it was a no-brainer for me.

4. Mako

Mako

well it sounds better than my bass pod xt's synths

5. BassRunner911

BassRunner911 Warwick Endorser

I still have one, but almost never use it. It can do a good deal of synth sounds. I was able to get kind of close to a Muse sound with it. My biggest problem with it is that it's so sensitive. When I turn it on i have to really turn my volume down. Another problem is the tracking. It'll waver a bit. Certain settings are good for certain parts of the neck.

IMO, save up and get a Deep Impact if you really want a good synth. Or if you can find an older Boss synth like the SYB3, the SYB5 isn't really good at all

6. ahpook

ahpook

i'd agree that the syb-3 is better than the syb-5, but it's still a pretty wild pedal.

i've used my syb3 with the techno-breakbeat thing i do and it works a treat, but it's by no means subtle !

7. ectoflanger

ectoflanger

Thanks for the feedback guys-- I had my doubts from what I heard on youtube. I'm not looking to get too freaky with a synth sound, just cool 80's keyboard bass like in this Thomas Dolby vid:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_1au_N_Hfc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_1au_N_Hfc[/ame]