"Blend" knob on a compressor pedal?

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Indeed seems rather idiotic.

Reaction score
they had to made the "Blend" knob, because only 3 knobs/buttons were ugly layout for the pedal :D

Florin

Warwick Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because you can do something called parallel compression.
Basically instead of a clean transparent compression, you set it as a brickwall heavily compressed sound, and mix it with the clean signal. I used parrallel compression a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Basically instead of a clean transparent compression, you set it as a brickwall heavily compressed sound, and mix it with the clean signal. I used parrallel compression a lot!

Well, that´s a new concept to me. Research starts NOW!

Thanx, Flo.

Florin

Warwick Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, using the comp as an effect can be quite interesting ;)

Reaction score
Also known as New York Compression, Same thing. Its done so you can keep your dynamics. Imagine a compressor pulling down the peaks to reduce the headroom (difference between peaks and RMS) then you add make up gain to compensate, With parallel compression you are bring up the quite parts but not squashing the peaks. I usually do it with a really small ratio but set the threshold quite low so you are getting a good amount of gain reduction then blend in to taste. Great on drums also.

Reaction score
Real Name
Chris

You have stereo Distressors!

Reaction score
The Hellborg pre amp has a blend knob for the effects send return so doing parallel compression with any comp is real easy even if it does not have its own blend. I run my distortion the same way.

Top Bottom