Big things are changing for me...

Reaction score
So i've not been around the forum at all for ages and it looks like i'm not going to have a lot of time to hang around here in the future as well.

The past year I have been in my final year at university and am proud to say I am now a Masters of Engineering in Electronic Engineering with Music Technology systems. Graduated officially 2 weeks ago! :d

Now I'd love to be able to spend more time here after finishing my degree and all however things are dramatically changing for me. I've managed to acquire funding for a PhD. This is awesome as I get to be a student for 3 more years then everyone needs to call me Dr. Callum, however this PhD is a little different as its not in the UK it's in.........wait for it.........

FINLAND BABY!!!!!!!!! :d:d:d

I'll be flying out around the 15th of August to settle in before starting work on the 1st of September. Which is seriously short notice to just up and relocate to a new country! I now need to work out what I can take on a plane (bass gear wise) and invest in some warm clothing!

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Awesome! Your specialty sounds totally fascinating. There's more than a couple of Finns around here to help you acclimate yourself more easily. Congrats on your new life prospect! :)

Reaction score
Finland is like Eng, but with more Fins and less Engs...

Ok I'm already outta here...

(Congrats btw, I've myself have 2 Master's degre - in History- and I know the amont of work it is.... Have fun in Finland, cos' you really sound like loving what you're doing, we talked about it in Frankfurt. Good Luck pal)

Reaction score
That's great news Callum! PhD funding is getting harder and harder to find, so well done!
I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time and, as well as getting your PhD, you get to learn Finnish too. :d

Reaction score
Haha that's just great Callum ! :d

To what city are you going to settle ? There's one great musicstore in Helsinki with lots of wicks in there but I haven't found any W basses in any other cities tho, maybe I've just looked from wrong places.

Hope you enjoy your time here, be sure to tell how things are going :)

AND there's been very cold and long winters for last two years. If you get lucky, this coming winter's going to be a little warmer and shorter

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
`

OK so I'm the photographer for the New York State Dept of
Transportation .... and it's a fearsomely cold February day,
and we're in Upstate NY showing a snow plowing truck to
a bunch of visiting Finlanders. We are all bundled up in our
frigid weather clothes, but the Fins are just wearing regular
[well, OK, "Russian-looking regular"] business suits .... and
they are climbing all over our twenty freezing tons of steel
snow plow truck, bare handed.

That should warn you about the climate that is normal to
the Finlanders ! I don't speak their language, but I could
clearly understand that they were saying some things to
each other about our plow trucks, things like "Jah, ziz
woot be almost goot enuv for plowing my driveway and
sidewalk at my house". ;-)

Get you some woolies. Dress for success, and survival.

Last edited by a moderator:

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Haha, golem was pretty much the last person I expected to see a post from in this thread. Full of sooprizes. :)

Reaction score
Haha yeah I honestly wasn't expecting to hear from golem! Thanks guys :) Kisu i'll be in Helsinki at Aalto university, it is nice to know there is a good music store about!

Reaction score
Congratulations! Pack your warmest sheep and brace up for wintertemperature around 5'F. And warm boxers especially. You don't wanna suffer bell brass balls.

siderocks

Fatass
Reaction score
So i've not been around the forum at all for ages and it looks like i'm not going to have a lot of time to hang around here in the future as well.

The past year I have been in my final year at university and am proud to say I am now a Masters of Engineering in Electronic Engineering with Music Technology systems. Graduated officially 2 weeks ago! :d

Now I'd love to be able to spend more time here after finishing my degree and all however things are dramatically changing for me. I've managed to acquire funding for a PhD. This is awesome as I get to be a student for 3 more years then everyone needs to call me Dr. Callum, however this PhD is a little different as its not in the UK it's in.........wait for it.........

FINLAND BABY!!!!!!!!! :d:d:d

I'll be flying out around the 15th of August to settle in before starting work on the 1st of September. Which is seriously short notice to just up and relocate to a new country! I now need to work out what I can take on a plane (bass gear wise) and invest in some warm clothing!

Nice! Congrats on your degree! Where in Finland are you moving? The Finns might seem a little weird on the first glance, not very talkative but once you understand that it isn't rudeness, just shyness I bet you'll get along just fine :) The winters are harsh, not so much in the southern parts but you get used to that very fast. August is nice, the midnight sun is gone and the "relatively warm" endsummer nights are enjoyable. Feel free to ask anything regarding life in Funland, happy to help :)

siderocks

Fatass
Reaction score
Congratulations! Pack your warmest sheep and brace up for wintertemperature around 5'F. And warm boxers especially. You don't wanna suffer bell brass balls.

Last winter the coldest day up here where I live was around -30 celsius = -22 Fahrenheit. Luckily those temperatures aren't too common :p

Reaction score
Congrats :)

Hope you settle in nicely in Finland...and remember, PhD does not mean: Pile Higher and Deeper :) (I have seen to many with a desk rivaling a a filing cabinet gone wrong)

Reaction score
It's nice to be helpful :)

The music store I was talking about is
Last I checked there were LTD 2010, Dirty Blonde, Thumbs, Streamers, and a lot of different Corvettes including $$NTs and fretless models. And of course the whole amplification line 8: The only store I never wanted to leave...

Reaction score
Congratulations on achieving the degrees Buddy, Have a great time doing the PhD.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Congrats Callum! I am so glad I personally met you before the Dr thing :) Take care, and try to have as much fun as possible!

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Congrats dude, and take a good look at the sun in England, you may forget what it is once you move to Finland. ;)

Reaction score
Congrats dude, and take a good look at the sun in England, you may forget what it is once you move to Finland. ;)

Sun?! in England?! ;)

Thanks again guys! Haha Flo i'll be trying to have as much fun as possible! This Dr thing won't change me too much its just a title :) No doubt i'll be at musikmesse again though!

Top Bottom