best amp for metal ( it dont haev to be a warwick)

JanVanHove

Artist
Reaction score
Anything massive enough to crush those puny guitarists?

Go loud! so a lot a power and a lot of speaker area, a "full stack" being the minimum (the classic being a 1x15 and a 4x10)...

But of course it all depends on what you're up against! if you have a loud drummer doing double kicks at an insane rate and two loud guitartists playing through full Marshall stacks, you're screwed, and you'll need a lot of power to cut through (of course playing a Warwick evens your chances of cutting through...)

JanVanHove

Artist
Reaction score
As to what brand and model, there is no clear cut answer, and it depends on your personal tastes, specific needs, and most importantly budget!

A Warwick X-treme 10.1 is as good a start as any, but you could go with Ashdown, Mesa Boogie, SWR, EBS, or any other brand for that matter...

Did you have an idea of what you like?

Reaction score
what sort of tone do you llike from an amp? tubey sound or precise articulate sound?

Florin

OG
Reaction score
You asked about "the best", I'll give you the best: HELLBORG signature Amplification. Very powerful and clean, you can play very fast licks, and you will hear all your notes even in the most noisy/busy metal band.

Reaction score
I play metal and my Ashdown stack does great. 600watts of power through 6x10 speakers, guitarist go home!

Reaction score
I play metal with the X-TREME 10.1 and 411ND and that does the job nicely unless the sound man sucks.

However for full metal surely 2 4x10's as that is taller than an 8x10 or do a Lemmy and have a 4x15 and 4x12, both sides of the drum riser. Now that is METAL!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
If I were to ever be in a headlineing big time metal band id use ethier HIWATT or the EBS Fafner... or an SVT-8 Pro... somthing truly excessive and extreme. :twisted:

Reaction score
ampeg svt 6 pro :twisted:

but i think the most important is, that you play through a 4x10 and a 1x15 cap. that will give you punch for the low end without beeing muddy.

greets

MCY

Reaction score
[/quote]ampeg svt 6 pro Twisted Evil

but i think the most important is, that you play through a 4x10 and a 1x15 cap. that will give you punch for the low end without beeing muddy.
I agree with beda, the SVT-6PRO puts on so much power that can drown both of your drummer and guitarist easily! :lol:

Reaction score
Gallien Krueger GK 1000 RB, with 4x10 and 1x15 neo cabs.

I'm sure Warwick does similar things, I'm just not familliar with WW amps that much.

jay

Reaction score
SurrenderMonkey said:
Gallien Krueger GK 1000 RB, with 4x10 and 1x15 neo cabs.

I'm sure Warwick does similar things, I'm just not familliar with WW amps that much.

Agree, GK is awesome...

Reaction score
Personally i think it has to be Ampeg all the way, preferably 2 with 8x10's or more!
A couple of friends of mine have the Marshall 400w & 8x10's but one of them keeps blowing up! They still sound good when they are working.
Alot depends on the type of metal, if you're just holding down 8's all night then ampeg is king, but if the music is all drop tuning, then you might need that clicky horn brightness in there e.g Gallien etc
Find out what your favourite bands are useing & go from there...

Reaction score
James Lomenzo has good sound using Warwick basses and Ashdown Amps.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGskHQ6OJPo[/ame]

Reaction score
I would have suggested a few different amps
only a few hours ago, but I just played my Custom Thumb NT5
through a Mesa Boogie Mpulse 600 and then a Big Block 750 and
OMFG i have never heard bass amps that are so badass before.
The Mpulse 600 is killer if you like a lot of different options,
but if you want a plug in and instantly
sound crushingly brutal tone the 750 is
the way to go. It has an 8 tube preamp that sounds amazing, extremely
plush and also very articulate but at the same time its so heavy sounding. Even compared to the 600 it really moves the room, you can feel every note.
And just when I thought it couldnt sound any better, IT HAS A DISTORTION
CHANNEL, This is easily the bast bass distortion I have ever heard.
So for Metal my choice is now the Mesa Big Block 750, if only it wasnt so expensive..lol

Reaction score
For my heavy rig I use an Ampeg 4 pro and an Ampeg 5 pro, I run the 4 pro into 2 Ampeg 1x18 cabs and 2 Ampeg 4x8 cabs, and I run the 5 pro mono bridged into an Ampeg 8x10...

It can be very clear or it can ROAR like crazy with a little adjusting...

I have knocked lights out of the ceiling LOL... Its loud loud loud...

I used to run 2 8x10's and a 15-410 and 2 1x18's but the setup I am using now works better for me.

Top Bottom