Bc20 Vs Bc40 For Bedroom Practicing

Reaction score
Hi. I would to ask if getting a BC40 over the BC20 would make sense for my situation.

I watched the Warwick demo video with the BC20 and BC40 being played side by side but I could not notice any difference. This makes me think the BC20 would fit my needs.

I practice alone at night with headphones. For this purpose it looks like the 20 and 40 are the exact same. When able, I will play without headphones during the day but still have to keep the volume low, near tv level. My room is 11’ by 12’.

Is there any difference between the 20 and 40 at low volume playing? Does the 20 allow for lower volume? Does the 40 sound better when played at low volume? I have a 5 string bass if that makes any difference. Is the only benefit of the 40 that it can be played louder?

I’m not able to test either of these out before ordering. Price difference is not an issue. I am not going to play with other musicians so I don’t need to play loud. Since I am new to electric bass, I am interested in these Warwick combos for their transparent sound quality.

Thank you!

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I can’t give you an answer out of experience. I bought an Ampeg BA 108 practice amp because it has a tilt back construction. For a 5 string bass a BA 110 would do better. It makes a BIG difference when the speaker points at your ears and not at your feet. Especially at home when you play at low volumes and want to hear the acoustic color of your bass. I can’t see a way to lean the Warwick amps back.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
BC 20 is an insanely good home practice amp. It has a built in very pleasant voicing, and it is MUCH louder than you would expect. You can actually play with a drummer if he does not hot hit too loud.
I am using BC 20 for some time now, had quite a few other practice amps, it is the best I owned so far.

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Hello there,

If budget and space are not issues, I'd go for the BC40, just because it will work as good as the BC20 for your home practicing needs and, just in case you need it for a rehearsal with other musicians, you'll have that extra power.

Cheers, and welcome to the forum (don't forget to the leave a comment at the "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" thread. :)

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
I can’t give you an answer out of experience. I bought an Ampeg BA 108 practice amp because it has a tilt back construction. For a 5 string bass a BA 110 would do better. It makes a BIG difference when the speaker points at your ears and not at your feet. Especially at home when you play at low volumes and want to hear the acoustic color of your bass. I can’t see a way to lean the Warwick amps back.
Therefore I would recommend a EBS Classic Session 60 :) I use the Classic Session 30 at home. I can't really recommend the new Warwick combos, only the old yellow series.

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Therefore I would recommend a EBS Classic Session 60 :) I use the Classic Session 30 at home. I can't really recommend the new Warwick combos, only the old yellow series.

More than double the price. More money, more power. But already a bit too much for a practicing amp?

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
More than double the price. More money, more power. But already a bit too much for a practicing amp?
One can compare the BC 40 with the Classic Session 30 in the price. There you get a better value with the EBS.
The integrated DI-Out was already helpful for a spontaneous jamming :)

I only mentioned the CS 60, because you can lean it back.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
The key factor is will it sound full and rich at bedroom practice volume. A lot of speakers will only sound good at louder volume.

For this reason I have a Barefaced One10 cab which I use with either the Tech21 VT500 or Trace Elliot Elf amp when I want a more oldskool tone (It has no hf unit). For modern sound I grab the PJB bass cub which is a 2x5" combo.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
BC20 sounds very good at any volume, I love it. I wish I could hear that sound on stage every time I play.

Top Bottom