Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Bass Shopping Dilemma - Dirty Blonde vs. Infinity SN

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by IncX, Feb 26, 2008.

1. IncX

IncX

OK, im planning on buyign a new wick cause i just sold my Pre-EB MM Stingray ... at first i was confused between a Bleached Blonde and a Dirty Blonde, but after a few research and opinions, the Dirty Blonde won.

Now the seller of the dirty blonde is a very busy guy and it takes him a long time to reply to my mails, so i started window shopping and found a 5 string Infinity SN ... its a bit more expensive but oh well...

so i really cant decide now... at first i was shopping for a light warwick bass so i could go to gigs with a smile instead of a "work out" face i carry with the darklord (along with a fully loaded gig back,and 3 flights of stairs).

currently, i use the darklord in a technical death metal band and it suits me fine (i noticed i dont need lower strings since the riffs are so fast, and deeper strings would only make a lot of bass riffs undefined).

the reason im shopping for a new bass is so that i will have a back up in case something happens to the darklord ... and plus factor is that it can do things the darklord cant.

im a big fan of slap and pop and its been 1 year since i last held a 5 string ... im confident i can still play it but i have to admit, i havent held a 5 string warwick (i have a hard time playing 6 string GSR ibanez basses btw) ... is the neck as wide as a GSR 6 string ibanez?

ok, so here are my expectations on the new bass:

1.) versatile
    2.) good playability
    3.) can cut thru metal but has the versatility a standard tuned Darklord doesnt have.
    4.) well, just share your good experiences with those basses.

honestly... im not sure whether the infinity would sound that different from the darklord since they have the same specs except for the zebrano body of the infinity (is it enough to make it sound that different?)

thanx....

whew .... i just realized i make long stories out of simple questions *lol*

2. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

I think that the Infinty is the best decision because you are going to have a really professional bass! and for sure will cover your sound-needs!! And it looks fantastic indeed :D

3. avionix543

avionix543

Having owned the Infinity (both SN and NT 5's) and having played about a dozen Dirty Blonde's, my suggestion would be the DB. It's noticeably more versatile and of lighter weight with more of the cutting tone that you seem to be after. The Infinity SN is a wonderful bass for what it is but I think the DB might be a better choice for you. It has a HUGE slap tone and is more responsive to technique, IMHO. ~M~

4. IncX

IncX

wow thanx for the replies... very helpful man!

how about we add another bass to my dilemma:

2004 ltd FNA Jazzman with a koa top...

its in my price range so far :) ...

this forum has been very helpful with me and my decision making...

5. anghel

anghel

i heard only good things about the LTD FNA jazmann

6. IncX

IncX

and you heard some bad things about the DB and the Infinity SN?

7. avionix543

avionix543

Funny... I also had one of those FNA Ltd's. I recently sold it to another forum member, CarytheLabelGuy, local rock star and funk bassist extrordinaire here in North Florida. Damn sweet bass :D . Either the DB or the 04 Ltd would be really good. Ask Cary... :wink: ~M~

8. anghel

anghel

nothing wrong with the others but i was in love with the FNA LTD and i searched the whole internet for reviews ... allways 10 out of 10 .. but try all these basses, it will be yours in the end! :)

9. IncX

IncX

*sigh* thats the problem... im in the philippines and there are no warwicks here. i just get them over ebay and just hope for the best. luckily i had a good experience with the vampyre darklord ...

as of now, i guess im going with the thumb since it has that distinct look compared to the 2004 ltd ... as for the infinity, ill just trust avionix experience with them and go with his recommendation (unless i read another convincing comment/experience).

10. maddrakkett

maddrakkett R.I.P.

I have no experience with the LTD FNA Jazzman, but I do own a Dirty Blonde and absolutely LOVE it to death! Like you, I have the "Warwick sound" in 4 of my Bubinga-bodied basses, but the Dirty Blonde is a totally different, more traditional sound, yet pretty versatile as well. It is a slap beast, especially that old-school P-bass neck pup sound. Mine is actually a de-fretted bass, yet it still slaps pretty good for a fretless! :shock: The T/J pup also has a beautiful tone that really enhances the fretless "mwah." The Dirty Blonde is also very light-weight to hold, and exquisitely beautiful to behold! I love the abalone gull inlays and the almost caramel-colored tone to the body wood. It will definitely give you another option in your arsenal and you won't regret owning it! IMHO.

11. Michael J

Michael J

I'd go with the Infinity.

12. IncX

IncX

seems like the dirty blonde is winning so far...

thank you so much for helping me out guys... now im just waiting for the guy to send me a paypal invoice on the DB.....

13. flipper_gv

flipper_gv

14. IncX

IncX

yep... that was the SN i meant... he is the same guy who sold me the darklord... so i kinda trust him now, hehe

15. boston asphalt2

boston asphalt2 Official Forum Pain in the Ass

I have a Dirty Blonde 5 and wouldnt trade it for ANY other bass out there. I love that damned thing!

16. Lewis

Lewis

you got the thumb then???? right choice according to me, great bass in its own right plus it gets bonus points cos its a thumb and thumbs= METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!