BASS PLAYERS: main occupation? Full musicians? What are your main dedications?

What is your main occupation? - the bass players dedication question!

• Still only studying (bass/music)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • still only studying (other)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Totally different job, full time, but playing bass in free time

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Totally different job, half time, but playing bass in free time

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • A stable and full time job related with music

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Dedicating full time to live from various music works, on your own

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Dedicating full time to live from only blaying bass on your own

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm 28. I've been wondering for years the full dedication to music thing. I am electronic engineer and I have a full time job. Don't have to say that I don't like my job at all, but you know, we all need money to carry on with life. Fortunately I've been able to be playing in bands and make concerts and record some CDs, but I've been frustrated from long ago for not to try full dedication and improve my knowledge, search for music jobs, meet other musicians and learn for them, and whatever, make a switch in life to enjoy music and feel better working on something you believe in. So, I've not made it yet. Maybe it's still not the right time, maybe I need more courage... Maybe the f_ng crises and advertisements from family and friends.

Anyway, in the small amount of free time I have, I give bass lessons in a school.

So, I'd like to start a poll for you all to see what bassists over the forum dedicate their life to. Just as an overview of the today's panorama. Please tell what you really do NOWADAYS.

I hope you'll have an appropiate interpretation of the possible answers. Thank you!

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I voted for "Totally different job, half time, but playing bass in free time"

What's the difference between a musician and a family pizza? The family pizza can actually feed a family.

Reaction score
It's like "how to get out a bass player from your yard? - Paying him for the pizza."

Matthijs

Photographer
Reaction score
I'm torn between Totally different fulltime job and Fulltime music job. I studied bass at a conservatory. I am a photographer fulltime now, so no longer playing basses for a living, but I do photograph basses, play them regularly here at Warwick HQ and was hired specifically because I am also a bass player :)

Ali

Reaction score
Totally different job full time, have to pay the bills!!

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I was "Dedicating full time to live from only blaying bass on your own " untill July this year. I played with some of the most successful bands in Romania for the last 10 years, and I play bass for 20 years.
I left my band and moved away from the big city, to raise my son Luca as a real Father, this is the only reason I don't do it 100%, I still have generous offers :)

Now I am playing in a band I like, and I am preparing to open a music shop here in Sibiu. I am also the Warwick Distributor in Romania :), so I am still having a lot of fun, but I am more with my family.

The music shop will be at the first floor of my house :) The opening in 3 weeks.
I will be there every day to have fun with my fellow musicians. I will take care to have everything set up so I'll can jam all day long with my friends !

Reaction score
I'm 15 years into my professional career, but I still do everything I can to make time for music. That became much more difficult a few years back with the addition of a wife and daughter, so no more touring. But while I have no delusions about making a living playing bass, it will always be an important part of my life...

Reaction score
i hate my job but somebody has to do it.

i think, as long as music will be "just" my hobby, it will allways be fun.
so i would be afraid if music would be my full time job. maybe the fun would go away.

Last edited by a moderator:

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I'm torn between Totally different fulltime job and Fulltime music job. I studied bass at a conservatory. I am a photographer fulltime now, so no longer playing basses for a living, but I do photograph basses, play them regularly here at Warwick HQ and was hired specifically because I am also a bass player :)

Are you the guy that has taken the website product and custom shop gallery pics?

Matthijs

Photographer
Reaction score
Are you the guy that has taken the website product and custom shop gallery pics?

Well, the very newest ones, I only started 3 weeks ago :) I will be taking them for the foreseeable future though.

Reaction score
Well, the very newest ones, I only started 3 weeks ago :) I will be taking them for the foreseeable future though.

oh my, what a great job!!!!!!!!!!!

i´m really jealous right now.

Reaction score
As you said Albertforns, bills have to be paid. Quitting my job (fiber optics engineer) to live for and by the bass is a dream to me. My girlfriend said that as soon as she finished her studies and has enough money for the both of us, she will push me to quit... well, we'll see in 2 to 3 years ! !

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering quitting hotels to make the possibilities of becoming a professional musician a reality (not the only reason, but one of them) but until then, as said by others, bills have to be paid.

Reaction score
I drink and occasionally study law. Music is a great hobby that occasionally pays great, but is always fun!

Reaction score
I put tires onto automobiles full time for a living and go to college in the evenings to hopefully change that. Sometimes, I fill in on bass for local bands, but have no serious musical commitment at the moment.
I once studied music for a year or two at the university, but I just couldnt stand the vibes. Everyone was so dry and passionless. I kind of got the impression that when music becomes your job, it can become routine like anything else as you trudge through day to day. I dont want it to be like that.
Mucho props to all of you out there who can make a living doing what you love without selling your soul.
One of these days I'll find the right people and get that project off the ground... ;)

Florin

OG
Reaction score
... I kind of got the impression that when music becomes your job, it can become routine like anything else as you trudge through day to day. I dont want it to be like that.
Mucho props to all of you out there who can make a living doing what you love without selling your soul.

This is true, but it is a matter of personal choice too. You can chose to make it for money only, or you can chose to be your life.
Many great players (most of them) found their way to stay away from routine.

Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin
"Totally different job, full time, but playing bass in free time".
I am an electrical engineer at a growing solar manufacturer (from silicon rocks to solar panels) and have two children. I wish it could be different, but I have to pay the bills. I play bass at every moment I can get - even if just 5 min. before work. I will continue playing just in my free time until my kids get out of college (10 more years). Then at 50 I plan on playing bass full time even if it makes me poor - I will still be playing BASS!!!!!

Top Bottom