3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 pkg (8 oz) reduced fat cream cheese, cubed
1 bottle (12 oz) lager

Where do you find all this stuff???

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Where do you find all this stuff???

This particular recipe was modified (to fit what I had on hand) from a cooking magazine. I also have a couple of cookbooks, and I find stuff on the internet. Allrecipes.com is a good site to check out.

Once you've followed enough recipes, you'll naturally start to pick up little tricks and techniques. And you'll start to notice that certain ingredients seem to go together. Basil and oregano. Chili powder and cumin. Once you start to notice these things, it gets easier to make up your own recipes, or modify existing ones.

Reaction score
Tartiflette Savoyard

Ingredients
1 Roblechon cheese (500g)
1kg waxy potatoes
250g smoked “lardons” (bacon)
1/2 cup creme fraiche (or regular double cream)
Butter
1 glass dry white wine
2 onions
salt and pepper

Method

Preheat oven to 220°C

Clean potatoes and cut them by half.

Boil potatoes in salted water not until completely done, but only until a knife enters easily (20 to 30 minutes depending on size). When done, remove from water and let cool.

Peel and slice onions.

Melt 2 TBSP of butter in a frying pan. Add sliced onions.

When onions are translucent, add bacon dices and continue cooking over medium heat for 5 more minutes stirring often. Season with salt and pepper.

The pour 1 glass of wine into the pan and stir to mix well and deglaze the pan.

Peel and slice potatoes. (peeling is optional)

Grease the bottom and sides of an oven proof dish with butter.

Put ½ of the onion/lardons mixture into the bottom of the oven proof dish.

Add half of the sliced potatoes.

Season with salt and pepper.

Add ¼ of the onion/lardon mixture.

Add the remaining half of the potatoes

Season with salt and pepper.

Add remaining ¼ of the onion/lardon mixture.

Pour creme fraiche (or cream) evenly over the top.

Cut the Roblechon in half, then slice each half length wise to create four half moons. Place evenly on top, with the skin side of the roblechon touching the potatoes.

Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden and the dish is bubbling.

Serve immediately with a green salade with a mustard vinaigrette dressing.

Just made an awesome soup. Will definitely be a repeat performer in my kitchen.

3 Tbsp butter
7 celery ribs
2 medium carrots
1 medium white onion
3 medium broccoli crowns
1 sweet red pepper
2 boxes (approx. 30 oz each) chicken broth
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup water
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 pkg (8 oz) reduced fat cream cheese, cubed
1 bottle (12 oz) lager

Peel the carrots and onion. One at a time, place celery, carrots, and onions into food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Remove stem, seeds, and ribs from red pepper. Chop red pepper in the food processor, but reserve it separately from the other vegetables.

Chop the broccoli into small pieces using a knife. The broccoli can be reserved with the red pepper.

Melt the butter in the bottom of a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the celery, carrots, and onions, and sauté until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Add the broccoli, red pepper, broth, and black pepper; stir.

In a separate bowl, mix flour and water; stir until smooth. Slowly stir the flour/water mixture into the soup.

Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and let simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until soup starts to thicken and vegetables are tender.

Add cheeses and lager. Stir until cheeses are melted. Serve with a garden salad and some crusty bread.

Man there are awesome recipes being posted here- alas my culinary acumen pales in comparison but I’m inspired and will begin by improving on my peanut butter sandwich recipe - enter the concept of toast-

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I've had a lot of fun in the kitchen this weekend. Yesterday I got out a new toy for the first time: an E'Cucina Pizza Maker. This is not mine, just a pic from the internet:

For my pizza, I started with a homemade dough I like to make sometimes, which involves flour, cornmeal, yeast, honey, and salt. I then browned some chicken sausage in a skillet, opened a jar of Ragu, opened a bag of pre-shredded cheese (a blend of provolone and part-skim mozzarella) and put everything together just the way you'd expect. Quite good, but my crust was too thick, causing some of my toppings to touch the heating element and thus blacken a bit.

Today I brought out a recipe I make often. It involves chicken thighs placed in a crock pot with artichoke hearts, diced tomatoes, Kalamata olives, chicken stock, white wine, some parsley and thyme, a bit of curry powder, and some tapioca to thicken it up a tad. The original recipe called for breasts but thighs hold up far better in the crock pot. Even still, four hours on low ought to do it. Chicken turns rubbery when overcooked in a crock pot. Towards the end of the cooking time I like to take the chicken out, cut it into bite-size pieces, and stir it back into the crock pot.

Right now I'm baking peanut butter cookies from scratch. They're reasonably healthy too. I used all-natural peanut butter (ingredients: peanuts), unrefined sugar, applesauce instead of butter, a bit of flour, a bit of baking soda, and some vanilla extract. Totally vegan, and the only fat is from the peanuts. I'll be bringing these into work tomorrow as a treat for my coworkers.

Reaction score
What a bright and cheerful image to go with your recipes. Thank you for sharing!

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Easy and fun.

But enough about your mom, here's Avocado BLT Pizza. :p

Take one pre-made pizza crust. Smear with mayonnaise. Add lettuce, chopped tomatoes, chopped avocadoes, and crumbled cooked bacon. Do not bake; just chow down.

If you like, you can put the crust in the oven for a little bit BEFORE you add any toppings.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooooh, discovering this thread !
real gourmet stuff with all the
... wait, wut ? You eat raw pizza dough with mayonnaise as Sandwich ??!!
:)

Hector

Staff member
Reaction score
This is VERY good... follow the recipe and method to the letter, it may sound odd, but it tastes incredible...

Ingredients:
250ml pickle juice
1tbsp strong mustard
1tbsp honey
50ml sunflower seed oil
1tbsp mayonaisse
Salt and pepper
1kg pork
bay leaf
2 small onions
Some dill and green onion for decoration

Serve with pickle and potato

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. One of my favourite recipes, fairly typical from Northern France, derived from Wales.
It's called a Welsh.
You basically take a slice of country bread, slightly toasted, smeared with a bit of mustard (Old Strye, with the grain). Add a slica of ham, and put this tartine in a Ramequin/Caquelon/Deep dish.
Then you put about 250/350g (depends on the size of your deep plate) of cheddar in a pot and let it melt. When melted you add about 250ml (quarter of a liter, 2/3 of a can) or brown beer in there. Strong ale recommended. then a small spoon of mustard, to taste.
You stir the pot, until the beer and cheese have melted and the you pour it on your dish.
Then you put that for 10/15mn at 180c in the oven. grill a tad at the end.
Best served with fries to dip in the melted cheese Add salad for your Jiminy Cricket.
Can be served as a "Welsh Complet" with an egg on top.

Can also be served as Over-The-Top Ischiemic Accident inducing dish when you replace the bread and ham with a cheeseburger.

BrusselsBass

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Ulrich
OK. One of my favourite recipes, fairly typical from Northern France, derived from Wales.
It's called a Welsh.
You basically take a slice of country bread, slightly toasted, smeared with a bit of mustard (Old Strye, with the grain). Add a slica of ham, and put this tartine in a Ramequin/Caquelon/Deep dish.
Then you put about 250/350g (depends on the size of your deep plate) of cheddar in a pot and let it melt. When melted you add about 250ml (quarter of a liter, 2/3 of a can) or brown beer in there. Strong ale recommended. then a small spoon of mustard, to taste.
You stir the pot, until the beer and cheese have melted and the you pour it on your dish.
Then you put that for 10/15mn at 180c in the oven. grill a tad at the end.
Best served with fries to dip in the melted cheese Add salad for your Jiminy Cricket.
Can be served as a "Welsh Complet" with an egg on top.

Can also be served as Over-The-Top Ischiemic Accident inducing dish when you replace the bread and ham with a cheeseburger.
That receipt requires Chimey Bleu 😉 in the pot and in the glass!
One thing - serves how many??

Last edited:

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's a bit of a waste of CHimay but you can. When cooking I lower my standards and use Leffe. :) JEanlain is also a good choice.
Depends on the size of the plate and brread and everything. I usually put 600g of chese and 250ml of beer for me and my 2 sons. I suppose less is also doable :)

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now for something a bit healthier.
A big can of Tuna ( the big one, 280g), 3 eggs, 500g of oatflakes/meal, tomato concentrate, shredded cheese, mustard, milk.
You just mix all of those in a bowl (give the tuna juice to your cat, although not too much cuz it's pretty salty), and really season it like you want. I tend to put too much cheese in there.
Two options, cook in the pan, like pancaes, with some oil of you can also put the mix in your waffle maker to bake it. Works both ways.
This is a really basic recipe you can adapt as much as you want, replacing the tuna by veggies if your kids were really rude for example. WOrks pretty well with Zucchini. Adding some bellpeppers is also appreciated.
Du to oatmeal, it's pretty "filling" so serve this with green beans or salad.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OoOOh, Naan ! In order to adapt to the French market, the developped Cheese Nân here.
It's especially great with Kebab/Gyros.
Talk about fusion when the basis of a greek/Turkish sandwich is mixed with an indian base customized for the French.

kimgee

Wenge Taste Tester
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
depends on who's asking
Wow......maybe I should post my "recipies" in the Lazy American thread.

I lke eggs.....as in chicken eggs. Scrambled, fried, poached, or whatever, I just like eggs. They are great in sandwiches, which I really like as well. There is some crazy old wives tale that egg yolks will explode in the microwave. I have cooked hundreds of eggs in the microwave, and it has never happened. There are a number of on-line videos instructing pwoplw how to make poached eggs in the microwave. I tried it, and it works. But, unless you actualy want to use that poached egg as a poached egg, then there is an easier way. I use a small plastic bowl which has an interior bottom just about the size of a typical slice of sandwhich bread. I break one or more eggs, usually 2, due to the size of my cooking bowl, into the microwave - no water or anything else. With the heat setting on High, I then cook the eggs in 25 second increments, and usually less on the last cycle, until they are cooked to my satisfaction. They come out like pristene fried eggs. The yolks do not burst in any way shape or form, I cover the plastic bowl I use with a paper napkin, and place a ventilated microwave cover thingy on top of the bowl to keep the napkin in place. There is some occasional "popping" from the white part of the eggs, due to trapped gasses underneath I believe, but never from the yolks. I can then make delicious fried egg sandwiches on toast. Or, egg salad sandwiches in the same bowl by just adding the additional ingreients. You could also place them on a salad, or whatever floats your gastronomic boat. If I want them to be more like scrambled eggs, I just add a bit of milk, and mix gently after every heat cycle. An omeltette sandwich only requires adding your desired ingredients and mixing everything together before cooking. Super fast and easy!

Now I am hungry.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, eggs. I find it wonderful how this things work in all recipes.
Here's the simplest, yet most complex recipe for scrambled eggs. I mean, no. Not Scrambled eggs. Oeufs Brouillés.
This has been handed down to me by PAtrick LeNôtre, the youngest thrree stars Michelin chef ever. Who's old, now, but hey.
First you'll need a heavy-bottom saucepan and a flat end wooden spoon. Butter, sour cream, salt and pepper. And three eggs. that's a good number.
Put the saucepan on a very, very mild fire. If cooking with gas, you can put the pan on the side of the flame.
Put some butter in the pan, it should melt, but not sizzle. While it melts, whisk the three eggs. Put the eggs in the pan, and start scraping the bottom ith the wooden spoon. Don't ever stop the motion.
This will allow the eggs to clot/coagulate, but not to fry. Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Continue scraping the bottom until your eggs have the "right" feel : they should be half solid, a bit fluffy, but no more liquid should ooze out.
Pour this in a bowl and put a spoon of sourcream. It'll stop the heat. add some chives, parsley, or dill, whtever floats your boat. Spring onions are nice.
And just eat. Fantastic with a baked potato.

Top Bottom