Bass-ic Cooking - The Bass players Cooking thread

Reaction score
yeah, you can have a similar thing with fish when cooking. If you don't close the lid they flap about like crazy....disemboweled and all

Reaction score
Real Easy tomato sauce:

12 mid sized tomatoes (regular, not the pink or italian version).
4 big yellow onions.
Olive oil
Chopped Fresh Basil
Chopped Fresh Oregano

1 - Pre-heat oven at 450 F
2 - Cut the tomatoes in half as well as the onions (take out the peel obviously)
3 - Put them on the cookie plates with the cut part face up.
4 - Salt and pepper, don't be afraid, be quite generous.
5 - Pour olive oil on them, be generous
6 - Put them in the oven until the top part is lightly charred (around 45 to 60 minutes)
7 - Take out the peel off the tomatoes
8 - Put everything in the blender (including the finely chopped basil and oregano)
9 - Blend.
10 - ...
11 - Profit!

Real tasty, the roasted onions add a really nice flavor and the tomatoes' taste just get stronger when you roast them.

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Hey amigos,

I promissed Nick (aka The Shadow Knight) that I´ll post a nice Gazpacho recipe here, so, let the madness begin!

For those of you who don´t know what Gazpacho is, think about it as a vegetable soup served cold that´s very popular in Spain in summer time.

I really like gazpacho, and here in Spain you could find it almost everywhere in summer, for like 1,50€ you could buy 1L of gazpacho, or you could go to your local market and buy some fresh vegetables and in less than 15 min you could have your own home-made Gazpacho.

The recipe. We´re going to need:

8 Tomatoes
1/2 red Bell Pepper (sweet pepper)
1/2 green Bell Pepper (sweet pepper)
1/4 Onion
1/2 Cucumber
1 clove of garlic
Bread
Cold Water
Olive Oil
Vinegar
Salt & Pepper

First we cut the bread in slices, take the crust out of them and put the bread slices in a bowl with water.

Then we have to cut the bell peppers, the cucumber, the onion and the garlic in pieces. Remember to take out all the seeds from the peppers, also to peel the cucumber, and try to remove 1 or 2 external layers from the onion an use the internal layers.

Cut the tomatoes in pieces, too. some people like to peel them, some people don´t, it is up to you.

Now, put all the vegetables inside the mixer, add the cold water, olive oil, vinegar, salt & pepper, and the bread and mix it. Remember to try the mix, so you could add more oil or salt to taste.

Voilà! home made Gazpacho. Serve it cold, like this:
gazpacho.jpg

or this:
gazpacho-portada.jpg

Hope you like it.

Reaction score
Honestly one of my favourite dishes ever :) its a cold soup and nicely refreshing, but I eat it in winter as well, cause hey, it tastes awesome :)

Reaction score
Tried the recipe :) nice! Some chopped peppers/cucumber on top and ye have a real nice meal

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I'm currently making ginger curry chicken with raisins and peaches, in the slow cooker. I've got some boneless breasts cooking in a mixture of chicken broth, a bit of juice from a can of peaches, butter, curry powder, ginger, and garlic. I'll add some cornstarch to thicken the sauce about 15 minutes before dinner time, and then add the peaches and raisins. The whole thing will be garnished with toasted coconut flakes.

And I've got some caramel pecan clusters chilling in the freezer right now. Once they're set, I'll dip them in dipping chocolate, then back in the freezer to set the chocolate.

Reaction score
I'm currently making ginger curry chicken with raisins and peaches, in the slow cooker. I've got some boneless breasts cooking in a mixture of chicken broth, a bit of juice from a can of peaches, butter, curry powder, ginger, and garlic. I'll add some cornstarch to thicken the sauce about 15 minutes before dinner time, and then add the peaches and raisins. The whole thing will be garnished with toasted coconut flakes.

And I've got some caramel pecan clusters chilling in the freezer right now. Once they're set, I'll dip them in dipping chocolate, then back in the freezer to set the chocolate.
I'm impressed br0-- it's been a while since I've even cooked a can of Campbell Tomato soup!

Reactions: RIP
Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
The chicken was OK. Nothing special. I probably won't make it again.

The pecan clusters are really, really good. I'll bring them to work tomorrow to share. They won't survive the day, I'm sure.

Hector

Staff member
Reaction score
Tartiflette Savoyard

Ingredients
1 Roblechon cheese (500g)
1kg waxy potatoes
250g smoked “lardons” (bacon)
1/2 cup creme fraiche (or regular double cream)
Butter
1 glass dry white wine
2 onions
salt and pepper

Method

Preheat oven to 220°C

Clean potatoes and cut them by half.

Boil potatoes in salted water not until completely done, but only until a knife enters easily (20 to 30 minutes depending on size). When done, remove from water and let cool.

Peel and slice onions.

Melt 2 TBSP of butter in a frying pan. Add sliced onions.

When onions are translucent, add bacon dices and continue cooking over medium heat for 5 more minutes stirring often. Season with salt and pepper.

The pour 1 glass of wine into the pan and stir to mix well and deglaze the pan.

Peel and slice potatoes. (peeling is optional)

Grease the bottom and sides of an oven proof dish with butter.

Put ½ of the onion/lardons mixture into the bottom of the oven proof dish.

Add half of the sliced potatoes.

Season with salt and pepper.

Add ¼ of the onion/lardon mixture.

Add the remaining half of the potatoes

Season with salt and pepper.

Add remaining ¼ of the onion/lardon mixture.

Pour creme fraiche (or cream) evenly over the top.

Cut the Roblechon in half, then slice each half length wise to create four half moons. Place evenly on top, with the skin side of the roblechon touching the potatoes.

Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden and the dish is bubbling.

Serve immediately with a green salade with a mustard vinaigrette dressing.

Reaction score
A W? Not sure what that means, you could say at referred to a special type of grapes (sour ones!) :D

By the way, I bet you could cook well yourself-- let's have a recipe!

Mine starts like this-

1. Use a can opener, preferable one of those seam-popping ones instead of those that leave sharp edges-
2. Pour into sauce pan.
2. Add tap water (or if you have guests - bottled water) to can to get all remnants of the soup, then add to sauce pan.
3. Bring to soft boil-
4- Serve with saltine crackers, generic cheddar cheese, or pickles on the side-

Et voila!

Next installment-- "Smooth or Chunky? The Art of the Peanut Butter Sandwich"

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Just made an awesome soup. Will definitely be a repeat performer in my kitchen.

3 Tbsp butter
7 celery ribs
2 medium carrots
1 medium white onion
3 medium broccoli crowns
1 sweet red pepper
2 boxes (approx. 30 oz each) chicken broth
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup water
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 pkg (8 oz) reduced fat cream cheese, cubed
1 bottle (12 oz) lager

Peel the carrots and onion. One at a time, place celery, carrots, and onions into food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Remove stem, seeds, and ribs from red pepper. Chop red pepper in the food processor, but reserve it separately from the other vegetables.

Chop the broccoli into small pieces using a knife. The broccoli can be reserved with the red pepper.

Melt the butter in the bottom of a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the celery, carrots, and onions, and sauté until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Add the broccoli, red pepper, broth, and black pepper; stir.

In a separate bowl, mix flour and water; stir until smooth. Slowly stir the flour/water mixture into the soup.

Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and let simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until soup starts to thicken and vegetables are tender.

Add cheeses and lager. Stir until cheeses are melted. Serve with a garden salad and some crusty bread.

Top Bottom