Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Bass for Blues, Rock and Jazz

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Kurt, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Kurt

Kurt

Hey there,

A few years ago I owned 6 basses. The reality of how much money I had tied up sunk in when I lost my job and I sold everything except my ash Vette 4, which was always my favourite, if not most expensive (by a long way ) bass. I'll be in a position soon to buy 1 more bass, but I won't go out and try them 'til I have the cash available to spend. So the question is this:

Hypothetically, if you had to choose a bass from the Warwick lineup to primarily play the genres in the title, what would you choose and why? Bear in mind that it would be mostly for fingerstyle, with a little pick playing and slap when no-one's listening ('cos I'm rubbish at it!)

As a little extra, if you could order the bass you have chosen throught the CS, what changes would you make?

Peace
    Kurt

2. Mr Rabble

Mr Rabble

I think that your Ash Corvette works perfectly for your style, what would you change?

3. Kris

Kris

Perhaps a $$? That will just add more sounds to the palette

4. iuserneim

iuserneim

i would go for ash.
    it's quite light compared to bubinga or other woods that are more dense, and gives you a good low end, and just enough growl (since you seem to not need that extra growl a thumb or stage II offers).

then, there should be a bridge pickup for the growlier sounds, and a neck pickup for the more laid back, boomy sounds.

if you want to go with active or passive electronics is all up to you. some prefer to have the equalizer at their finger tips, other want a simple bass without the stress of changing batteries.

so, a corvette made of ash should be just right i think.
    and the corvette also looks good and is comfortable, don't you think ?

if it is a corvette with single coil pickups or a $$ depents on your style. if you prefer more space to dig in, then you might want to go with the single coils (but people say, that it's not too hard to get used to it).
    then, the $$ comes with active electronics (but you can switch it off).
    i would say a standard corvette is a good decision.
    if you want so spend more money, then go for the $$. i think it can do everything the standard corvette can (because of the coil tapping for the pickups), and also features the active electronics that you can switch to passive if you want to.

hope it helped.

5. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

If price is the main factor (it often is) and since you already have a Standard Ash that you love, but want something a bit different, you should compare the Standard Bubinga and the $$. Both are priced INSANELY well for what you get. The bubinga standard will feel familiar, but will give you some new tones. The $$ is the ultimate in flexibility, so it may get the nod if you truely want something that does everything well...

6. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

For Blues- Rock, maybe a Streamer Stage 1 Wenge neck Bartolini pups 4 strings. For jazz I'd chose something tighter, like a thumb, or any bass with TJ in bridge position.

7. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

A $$ ash, for its versatility. I had one but the 'roundness' at the very low end (B string) wasn't for me. However it would be perfect for blues and jazz. It sounds great slapped and popped too, and can have a biting pick tone as well. It will give different sound than the standard vette, with more of a musicman / G&L sound rather than a Fender sort of sound.

Definitely one to try. Also, they are not much more expensive than standard vettes, and you can find some second hand.

8. Lewis

Lewis

id go a standard corvette, cant go wrong.

9. JUZ

JUZ

either the vette you have now or a $$ ash body

i love my $$, beautiful sound, can still get the signature growl no worries (not growl like the thumb or SSII) and get a mellow soft sound easy. its tone is beautiful!

10. odominguez

odominguez Guest

I think an ash/maple bass with a TJ/TJ will do the trick and deliver good sound in almost any style.

11. Kurt

Kurt

Yeah man, I like your style!

I reckon I knew the answer to my question before I posted-I have the perfect bass for what I'm doing, but damn that GAS is getting worse for a Streamer or Thumb of some description. I just love the body shape of both of these, which is the only aspect of the Vette which I think is slightly lacking. (even though the Thumb is Corvette-ish in appearance, or the other way around!). I'm not too keen on the looks of the $$ pups, but I'll certainly give them a try

Peace

Kurt

12. flipper_gv

flipper_gv

+1