Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Barts And Aguilar Obp-3 In Streamer Stage 1

Discussion in 'Bass Pickups & Electronics' started by AxelF, Jun 7, 2019.

1. AxelF

AxelF

I've ordered Bartolini Quads and the Aguilar OBP-3 to replace the MEC pups and preamp in my Streamer Stage 1.

The comms from Bartolini are dreadful though, I've been back and forward for a couple of weeks now trying to get advice on what pots are needed, the OBP-3 comes with suitable tone pots, but I'm not sure if the stacked volume and pup pan pot will work with the Bart pups.

Am I right in thinking that the MECs are active pups? The Barts are passive, will they require different capacitance pots?

I know a few people have switched to Barts and the OBP-3, what value pots are people using, and have you managed to keep using the originals?

Thanks in advance!

2. jester

jester ocdemon Moderator

Yanni
    Hello, welcome to the forum! Your SSI has active pickups therefore you can't use its electronics with your passive Bartolini pickups. (You could use the MEC preamp provided you replaced the blend knob with one for passive pickups, but you 're switching preamps). The OBP-3 should have its own pots connected for tone control, 50K resistance pots with center click, perhaps with a push/pull pot or a switch. What you need is essentially a volume pot and a blend pot for passive pickups. You can use a 500K pot for volume and a 250K or 500K for blend. Try to find a quality blend pot, with a MN taper, otherwise you might lose output when at center detent. There's this trick you can use that involves not grounding the blend pot, makes it act smoother and not so much as a switch. Pickups are connected to blend, blend to volume, volume to preamp input or directly to output jack if you install a preamp bypass switch. Feel free to ask away with anything else you may need.

3. jester

jester ocdemon Moderator

Yanni
    PS. If the OBP-3 comes with a volume and blend, you can ask Aguilar or the shop you got it from if they are for passive pickups (they most probably are so you 'll be good to go).

4. AxelF

AxelF

Hey, thanks so much for the very speedy and very clear reply, much appreciated! Would this be suitable
    WARWICK MEC Mono + Stereo Stacked Potentiometer, B500K / (05A220K / 05C220K)/cc, Push/Pull
    It's probably a bit overkill as I'm not really after the push/pull active/passive bypass feature, but it's the only one I can find that's stacked, plus I know it will fit! I was a bit confused that it states in the description it's for active pickups despite being 220 kOhm, as does the 25 kOhm variant, but I'm guessing this is probably a typo?

The Aguilar preamp is coming from bass direct and is the OBP-3TK version so just comes with the three tone pots plus a switch for mid freq.

One more question if I may please - I'm planning on wiring the pickups to a three piece selector switch that will allow them to be switched from P/full quad/reverse P (Bartloni have promised to provide a wiring diagram for this, they come with 4 conductor wires), do you know what type of switch I need for this please in terms of number of poles and off/on/off or on/on/on etc?

Thanks again for the help, it's massively appreciated!

5. Henrythe8

Henrythe8 Dolphin Hoarder

P/Full quad/reverse P ? Hmmm. I have the same on my Stradi bass. Great choice.
    Bartolini is able to give you all th info you'll need regarding wiring, pot values and so on. In my memory, you'll need ON/ON/ON switch.
    I used to talk with Doug Somervell at Bartolini's, this guy is an inextinguishable source of knowledge. I suggest you ask him your detailed question for a detailed answer, wiring and pots/switches values.

6. jester

jester ocdemon Moderator

Yanni
    It could be a typo, but perhaps this is used for active pickups, having something to do with the MEC preamp being used with it. Judging from the resistance values it will work for you. Perhaps you should get a non push pull. MEC pots are very high quality so you will be satisfied with it.

About the switch, we can't tell with 100% certainty but a 3-way on-on-on switch is most probably what you want to get.

7. AxelF

AxelF

Cool, thanks for the help and great to hear you like that setup - what's the main difference you hear between the settings, particularly the P and reverse P?

8. Henrythe8

Henrythe8 Dolphin Hoarder

It's pretty subtle, to be honest, but definetely hearable.
    I have two pickups with that wiring, and the best combination is the P in neck position and reverse P in bridge when playing fingerstyle. I reverse it when playing with a pick.
    Mainly use the Reverse P on the Neck and Full quand on the bridge for all purpose...
    I Wouldn't be able to tell which one is which in context, but when I play, I find it easier to flick a switch and find a better mix-piercer thant fiddling with the preamps (yes, I also have one preamp for each pickup, being a silly person).

jester likes this.