Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

B String Buzz / Ring On 6 String Corvette Pro Series

Discussion in 'Non - Official Warwick Customer Support' started by Learning2Bass, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Learning2Bass

Learning2Bass

Hey all,

I've just replaced my 6 string corvette pro series stock strings (black label 130?) with DR Dragon Skin strings 30 45 65 85 105 125.

Now on the B string (tuned to B flat) I'm getting this horrible scratchy buzz then a harmonic ring.

I've followed the Warwick set up guide on youtube, I've tried more relief, less relief, more action etc.. but can't seem to get rid of this ringing sound. It will buzz upon picking then an after ring persists especially on specific frets (usual cuprits are 3 - 6 -8 - 12).

If I go easy on the relief the ring displaces more towards the lower frets, the more relief I add pretty effectively stop the ring around the 3rd fret but it seems to just move up the neck until eventually there is too much relief and the high frets don't play well anymore. I've tried excessively high action as well, no result.

Is there anything anyone here can recommend short of bringing it somewhere to get set up? I feel I've got a handle on setting the relief, nut height, radius and action. I can get the other 5 strings to a nice smooth and poppy low action and it feels great, but this darn B string just can't be tamed. I should mention I can pick overly soft and this still occurs, especially as I pick more towards the bridge.

It goes around the tuner a couple of times, though I did cut it at the 8 cm recommended by Warwick. Would tapered strings make a difference? Perhaps changing gauge.. which would be unfortunate because I was really interested in the Dragon Skins and the B maxes out at 125.

Thanks,
    J

2. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

Raise the nut a little @ the B string side.
    The harmonic ring makes me think it is buzzing from your hand towards the nut, not towards the bridge.

3. Learning2Bass

Learning2Bass

I gave it a try, it unfortunately didn't solve the issue. I tried putting a capo and muting behind it but it still rang out.

4. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Those are nasty sometimes. Furst make sure you remove all straplocks, and buzzing stuff from the bass so they don't distract you. Then play some notes, and firmly touch different parts of the bass, or ask a friend to do it. Press the string and the nut down. Do it stops? Press the saddles, etc. Something is moving, you should check what. Is the bridge standing on all 4 screws, or is is one unscrewed? Are the 2 locking screws on the bridge locked? Are the saddles locked by the small screw in front? Also check at the saddle, so the string does not touch the ... how to call it- saddle holder, but the saddle only. Between the saddle and the tailpiece the strings should not touch anything else, sometimes it touches the thig that holds the saddle. But first check the nut, press it down and see if it is OK, sometimes it rattles.
    @DiMarco , rasing the nut can be a good fix, but I hate having the nut raised too much. I like to have it set so the string does not touch the first fret- But sometimes Warwick brass JAN rattle, and after setting it up a drop of glue solves the problem.
    BTW, is the nut glued? Maybe the 2 pieces rattle, try putting some thin tape, plastic bag and force the nut it, that's the first place I would look, then bridge. Punch the neck e few times to check if the trussrod is not rattling inside.
    Sometimes it is hard to find the offender, just play and touch strings. And as Marco said, check if you don't have this buzz from behind the fret. People say you don't hear it amped, but you do. In this case, that dumper you put on the nut works wonders.
    Let us know how it works.

5. StreamerII84

StreamerII84 Warwick Endorser

Alex
    Have you pressed down on the string right after the saddle so that it bends fully? Its called setting the witness point and can relieve the buzz. I do it on all mystrings so that intonation is good and buzz isn't present. Sometimes it can happen behind the saddle to the string holder too.

Generally every B string I have will buzz a little because it's big and clacky, but it doesn't really get heard in a band context.

Florin likes this.