Are These Frets Very Worn?

Reaction score
Hello all Warwickites!

I'm new to the world of Warwick. I have a Wal MK2 + MM Stingray. I love good basses.

I just got my hands on a Warwick Thumb, all the way from 1987.

I'm having a test run on it, and will decide whether I will keep it. I quite like it. However, I find that the frets seem very worn. It's still very playable, but I'm wondering if it's reasonable to have these kind of frets. At least what I know, is that they're very far from anything like this:

They're almost level with the fretboard.
I took pictures, have a look here!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UnVMCqWXogBxuhsQ7

What do you think? Will this bass have to be re-fretted very soon? Should I avoid getting it?

Thanks a lot!

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi mate!

These frets were flat from the very beginning. Frets can have different crown heights. If the bass is still playable then there should be no reason for a refretting. But ofc this can change when you wear them more down at the first frets. Installing new frets will be no problem with this bass.

Reaction score
Hi mate!

These frets were flat from the very beginning. Frets can have different crown heights. If the bass is still playable then there should be no reason for a refretting. But ofc this can change when you wear them more down at the first frets. Installing new frets will be no problem with this bass.

Right, thanks a lot!
Another consideration; why would I buy this bass vs. a brand new Warwick (GPS Thumb BO 4 NT)?

Let's say I can get this for 1400€.
Specs are as follows:
Thumb Bass NT 4 string
Serial Number K 1041 87
October 1987
Number 1041
Neck Wood Wenge, Mother of Pearl Dot inlays
Fingerboard Wenge
Frets Jumbo Warwick Frets
Nut Just a Nut Brass
Neckthrough hidden neck construction
Body 3 pcs, Solid Bubinga Wood Surface White Highpolish Polyester Surface
Pickups Active EMG JJ Pickups
Electronic active MEC 2 Band Electronic Hardware
Black Hardware made for Warwick
Made in West Germany / 91330 Eggolsheim

Why not just buy a new Warwick for 1400-1600€? (I can get a great discount off list prices from a friend).
Are these older instruments superior in some way?

Reaction score
Anyone? Are these kind of older Thumbs comparable with new GPS ones?

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
If you want creme white and mojo, get this one. If you want something brand new, fetch a GPS. I would prefer the old one.

Reaction score
Real Name
Tom Baker
I want to see the rest of that bass...

Reaction score
A NOS 87 bass will/would cost you a LOT more than 1400 if you were to buy new and isn't (IMHO) comparable to a new 1400 bass!
A new German masterbuild/custom build NT 4 string Thumb will cost you how much?

Florin

OG
Reaction score
First of all, it is collectible, it has a great resale value. If it is a better bass or not it is debatable. It is lighter, it is 100% handcrafted, it is unique (being handmade there are not two with the same shape and feel), it is easier to fix if you have issues with trussrod.
The old ones have wenge fingerboards, new ones have EBony fb (NT Thumbs). Old ones sound warmer, new ones are more aggressive.

Just buy the damn bass :)
Welcome to the forum!

kimgee

Wenge Taste Tester
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
depends on who's asking
A vintage Thumb NT is a much more desirable bass than a GPS. Plus, it has 26 frets! You should look at the fret condition in the first position, which does not appear to be in the pictures, as that is usually the frets that get the most wear from a typical player. You could also convert it to a lined fretless pretty easily. I wouldn't think you would need to coat the fingerboard with anything to protect it, since wenge is quite hard. I have a fretless Sanox Logabass that has a wenge fretboard, and the previous owner used roundwounds on it and there is virtually no wear from the strings.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
20, 21, 24, 26. I don't really mind. Will adjust my playing accordingly.

kimgee

Wenge Taste Tester
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
depends on who's asking
Might be a plus, might be a minus depending on the user :D I had a Vampyre SN with 26 frets and i personally prefer 24.
To each his own, but I would be interested to hear why you feel that way.

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
To each his own, but I would be interested to hear why you feel that way.
Slapping and popping :) I need some more space there. And i actually never used the 25th and the 26th fret while i played this bass.

kimgee

Wenge Taste Tester
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
depends on who's asking
Slapping and popping :) I need some more space there. And i actually never used the 25th and the 26th fret while i played this bass.
That makes sense. I hadn't considered that. You should keep an eye out for a Sanox Logabass. They have a nifty cut out for that very purpose.
This is a fretless, but they are availabe fretted as well. They are really well made Japanese basses, but a bit hard to find.....in the US anyway.

vsytpz82ztv28pd4sg9o.jpg

Top Bottom