Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Are Some Guitars Better Than Others?

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by Hector, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Hector

Hector Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how many of you Bass players are familiar with the egg-slicer Guitarist's search for "The Guitar".'

It basically goes like this: You go around to a lot of Guitar stores, testing guitars, hoping to find that "special one", ie THE guitar that plays better than any other you've tried. (Like Bernie Marsden talking about The Beast and how people refer to it as the guitar that Clapton mistakenly let "get away". ie: it's an incredible Gibson guitar that is the best example of that year/production/type of guitar).

I know there are some "THE guitar" as well as "total dog guitars" made by companies like Gibson or Fender (I've heard of this from tons of people in other forums who have owned these guitars. I have also experienced this myself).

Do Bassists also experience this, ie: the search for the perfect bass ? Are some better and others worse ?

2. ectoflanger

ectoflanger Supporting Member

I have an '08 Fender STD American that's really sweet- but I didn't get to check it out until it arrived from purchasing on eBay. It was new old stock and in new condition with the sticker and wrapper still on the pick guard. I don't always get into the Fender sound but they sound really sweet particularly when you're playing alone.

I've never had a total dog guitar from any major manufacturer which goes a lot to say for you get what you pay for.

I had a cheap Aria Pro II P-bass copy that didn't feel near as nice as the Fender, but I've played a Mexican strat and a Squier jazz bass that felt and sounded good.

Then there are the Warwicks - a whole other class I've had no complaints about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  3. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

Yes there are. Call it mojo if you will but higher end guitars/basses are alive and have a personality.
    You need to become friends with them and sometimes there's a click, other times there is not.

If the click is there the instrument will inspire you, and you will feel attached to it.
    In other cases it is a Squier and you get bored with it fast. LOL.

ectoflanger and Hector like this.
  4. ectoflanger

ectoflanger Supporting Member

Honestly the Fender Precision is in many ways an iconic bass - ergonomic balance, reasonable weight, etc- the nice girl next door.

However my Thumb NT 5 fretless is my first inter-dimensional soulmate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hector likes this.
  5. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Of course they are. From time to time you put your hands on an instrument you don't want to let go. Usually it doesn't matter the brand or price tag. I think it is about a good match between the instrument and your hands/ personality.

BUT
    Not always THAT particular bass is the best in the context you are playing. "Warmth" in bass guitars usually translates into "muddy" on crowded stages.
    Most of the time I had to do the painful decision to let THE bass home, and play another one because it just sits better in the mix.