Anyone going to Bass Player Live! this weekend?

Reaction score
Anyone headed to Bass Player Live in LA October 20th and 21st?

This year’s event boasts a pretty impressive line up of players and vendors. Check out the official site for the full list:

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/bass-player-live-2012/148947

I'll be there managing the Warwick area. We've got a lot of great artists coming this year, and its definitely going to be a phenomenal event! We'll have about 20 basses on hand, as well as the entire line of BC and WA amps, with appearances and/or clinics/performances by:

Dirk Lance
Jeff Hughell
Divinity Roxx
Brandino
Steve Bailey
Alphonso Johnson
Andy Irvine
Lee Sklar
Verdine White
Jimmy Earl
Evan Brewer
John B Williams
Robert Trujillo
Scott Reeder

...and many more! Come on down to SIR Studios in Hollywood...be sure to stop by and say Hi!

Reaction score
Holy cow... what an event! It would be great to see this, but alas - it's a bit far :D

Reaction score
Thanks to Warwick I will be going. I am like a little girl on Christmas Eve over going to meet Dirk Lance.

Lady Warwick

Vampyre Spaz
Reaction score
I'll be there, I've never been to this and look forward to it.

My hubby is coming to see what it's all about, he's finally realised my learning bass isn't a fad of the moment thing. It's too fun to be that.

da-vonk

Warwick Enthusiast forevah
Reaction score
Hope U guyz/girlz have fun and pleaze don't forget to take picz and vidz ... 8:

Reaction score
I'll be taking plenty of photos and posting them here, as well as on our facebook page. Looking forward to meeting some forum members, too! See you soon!

Reaction score
I wish I could be there but there is no time off work/gigs for me to attend. Please post pictures and commentary!

Thanks,
Dave

Reaction score
This Bass Player Live show looks really interesting, wish I could go but its abit to far :confused:

Im sure that with Garey organizing the event, and the huge list of artists attending its going to be a good time !

Reaction score
I went the first day only, and had a super fun time. We arrived about an hour late and had to leave a couple hours early, but still got in some good moments. I can't thank Warwick enough for their FB contests and allowing me the chance to go for free and meet my favorite bass player and all that came with it.

We arrived and immediately checked in, started checking and booths, etc. Played a nice Fedora, it was 'supposed' to be nice, but felt strange to me, it just didn't have that ZING. I was more interested in the Aguilar Tone Hammer stack it was plugged into. Enough of that, moving on. I saw the Warwick room, and didn't want to immediately jump in there and drool all day, for the sake of my buddy's sanity we moved on to check everything else out.

The next room had Ibanez right up front, played a couple hollow body basses, one was meh, the other was actually pretty nice. The rep there was busy showing my friend one of the newer lines so I was ampless and just fingering around. From there we breezed through a few booths until I saw Elixir. I was told from Talkbass they'd have the new stainless steel strings side by side with their new nickel strings. I introduced myself and proceeded to jam away on their Ibanez demo basses. It was hella loud right there being across from a few bass companies booths, so I couldn't really tell you anything about them except they feel like Elixir's but with a little roughness to them, almost EMP like, but not nearly as rough.

The rep then offered me a free set, I was like uhhh, YEA BOY!!! I opted for the stainless, and will be strapping them down on my LX shortly and give a review as well.

The next booth was Carvin, I never have played them before, only saw them in their catalogue etc. I picked one that had a sexy dark cherry red finish over a flamed maple body, very similar to a SSI but with an ebony board. It sounded really bright, like really bright. I loved the finish so much I wanted to take it home and get it pregnant. The rep said it was a new color, I told him it was money and proceeded on.

Gibson/Epiphone had some stuff out my buddy was working on. I was talking to the rep, and they seemed to be temp's that didn't know crap about their own line. They knew the model numbers, etc, but nothing about what does what, and any sort of bass specific info. But they were quick to get me to like their Facebook page and give me a set of sunglasses and a luggage tag. Sold, I can always unlike them later, ha!

We browsed through more booths, my buddy talked to Bassstringsonline for a bit about a 8 string set with custom tuning. We checked out the DR Neon line, not my style of feel, but would definitely look killer for a show or video.

We then made our way back to the Warwick booth and got to meet Andy and check out a couple basses, but it was so crowded due to a clinic starting that we couldn't do much in there. I looked around and didn't see anyone famous to hit up. My buddy wanted to check out another clinic and come back so we did that. We saw Abraham Laboriel and I completely forgot the other dudes name, but it was a good laid back setup. A couple of Kala U basses was the entire arsenal they opted to use and promote. Their show seemed entirely improvised for the most part, and it was very entertaining.

When this finished we headed back to Warwick. I showed my friend some basses I thought he'd like. I felt as if I was a Warwick rep since I knew all the models, woods, differences, prices, etc. I got to handle the SSI 4 string, Streamer 30 anniversary, and the Trujillo sig model as well as the Thumb that was chilling there. I didn't get to play too much as another clinic was starting up again. This time with Steve Bailey, so we stayed around.

Steve Bailey, Lee Sklar, and Alphonso Johnson were a tight sounding trio with an awesome drummer they seemed to have a good rapport with. Lee held down the bass line while Alphonso jammed with some chords/rhythm and Steve took the lead with some crazy sound harmonic tones and overall beastly playing skills. I was situated in front of Alphonso so I spent most of the time watching him hold back, then come and and shred, then settle back into the groove. They all did amazingly well, and I loved seeing their attitudes toward each other and all the little banter and jabs they threw at each other.

After the Q&A we decided to go get some food, and on our way out met Garey, and asked about where the F--- Dirk Lance was, and out of nowhere he popped up in front of me, his aura and everything! No but really, it was awesome to be able to meet him and shake hands with a legend. I got a picture with him and chatted a bot about Warwick and his new band, etc. I probably looked pretty dumb with my jaw on the floor, but I managed to walk away and not be 'that guy.'

So that wrapped up our time there, my buddy had to be back in town by 6 so we bailed out and got some food and headed home.

Thanks again to Garey and everyone at Warwick that made this happen. I definitely look forward to next year. I didnt get many pics as my camera died when we got there, but my cell phone got a few lucky shots I'll share once my phone is charged.

da-vonk

Warwick Enthusiast forevah
Reaction score
Very kewl review Adam, thanx ! ...can't wait to see da piczzz ... 8:

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who made it to Bass Player Live! We had a great weekend, with super clinics and performances...and just a good hang all around. I got to meet some forum members and lots of new friends, and see lots of old friends too. Special thanks to those of you from our Forum who came out...hope to see you next year!

Lady Warwick

Vampyre Spaz
Reaction score
yah it was cool, me and chris had fun :) i got lucky to go this year, cos usually im out of town at this time...

Lady Warwick

Vampyre Spaz
Reaction score
no thats not me in the background wearing a Tarot tshirt talking to some guy who i found quite odd....lol...

Top Bottom