Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Any one had any experience with these distortion pedals

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Mr Bassman Sax, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Mr Bassman Sax

Mr Bassman Sax

I've found two I really want to try. The EBS Valve Drive for £210 or the Ashdown James Lomenzo signature Hyperdrive for £60 which it says filters the mids for distortion leaving the bass and treble untouched. I am intrigued, but I am wondering if any ones had any experience with either.

2. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

In a bass overdrive/distortion you want a blend knob to dial in the distorted signal with the clean signal. This ensures your bottom end will remain tight.

I'm using an MXR M80 DI+ for modern OD, and the tube OD on my Fender TB amp for vintage OD. Both have blend controls.

3. Curtis

Curtis Editor De Bassist magazine (NL)

I heard someone play with the EBS and that one sounds really good! It was my amp, a similar bass as I have, so I know what it did.
    I heard Mark Goodays son demonstrate the Lomenzo and that sounds good too. But different, more modern.

I love real tube overdrives (and amps), cos they have dynamics. I use a EHX English Muff'n with which I loose a little bit low, but I can put it right before distortion, so my bass sounds quite clean. But when I attack the strings it gets a bit overdriven. Or I turn my volume down for clean sounds and up for distortion. You can only do that with tube ones....

I also have the MXR Bass DI and I use that too, cos with the EHX I need to be mic'd. Like the blend on that one.

4. flipper_gv

flipper_gv

honestly, the only overdrive I've ever thought was good sounding was in a tech21 bassdriver or the VT bass

5. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

6. grue

grue

I use an EBS Valvedrive. I went on a kind of tone-quest, where I tried something like 30 different pedals, some with tubes, some solid state analog, some digital modeling like the VT. This is the only one that really got that cranked-up tube amp sound, IMO. If that's what you are going for, I don't think you will find anything else as good. Just read the instructions for the tone knobs. They are not intuitive.

7. Jontson

Jontson

EBS valvedrive. Just bought one, blew me away.

8. Mr Bassman Sax

Mr Bassman Sax

Well then I shall be saving for an EBS Valve Drive. About to purchase a D-Tuner