another random question about warwicks

Reaction score
i was lying in bed last night and yet another random question about warwicks came in to my head (yes, i do think about my warwick whilst in bed):

On the tuning machines on my bass it says 'warwick west germany' and i was wondering if the newer models just say 'warwick germany' or if they still have the 'west' bit.

I won't be sleeping til i no the answer!!!

maddrakkett

R.I.P.
Reaction score
Yeah, the "West" has been dropped.

BTW, I too think about Warwicks before I go to sleep! I sometimes even have dreams of a beautiful city where there are several stores that sell all kinds of Custom Shop Warwicks and Warwick parts! :D

Reaction score
maddrakkett said:
Yeah, the "West" has been dropped.

BTW, I too think about Warwicks before I go to sleep! I sometimes even have dreams of a beautiful city where there are several stores that sell all kinds of Custom Shop Warwicks and Warwick parts! :D

that be awesome.

Reaction score
maddrakkett said:
I sometimes even have dreams of a beautiful city where there are several stores that sell all kinds of Custom Shop Warwicks and Warwick parts! :D

I had a Warwick dream last night for the first time ever. This forum's getting to me...

(The dream was ok, not spectacular - I picked up an blue-oil 5-string Corvette $$ for not much money on ebay. It was a dream (ha!) to play, but then I discovered it had some holes in the back. Naturally, using dream-world logic I worked out that this meant it had TCS, so I was delighted to find my new bass was worth so much more money than I paid for it! Then I woke up.)

Back on topic, my Thumb used to have West Germany tuners, but one broke, so I had them all replaced with Schallers. I was pretty gutted about that, actually - they were a nice reminder of my bass' age to me.

I figure they had a bunch of the W Germany-labelled machine heads left over when the wall came down, so they continued using them till they were all gone (my bass is 93, but the wall came down in 90)

Reaction score
awesome, i like having west germany, makes it a nice piece of social history...how'd you manage to snap a tuning machine head????

Reaction score
Rundownjack said:
awesome, i like having west germany, makes it a nice piece of social history...how'd you manage to snap a tuning machine head????

Oh, it didn't snap or anything! The internal mechanism broke somehow. No idea how, but as they're sealed units, it was simpler/cheaper to get a new set than to investigate further.

Tbh, I can't remember the ins and outs of it, but I trust my local guitar guy, so just went with his opinion,

Top Bottom