Annoying Bass Related Remarks (rant)

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
And Eddie Offord when he engineered and mixed Yes.

I read somewhere on Gearslutz that two producers agreed "When someone walks in with a Warwick bass I will hand them my Fender Precision so we can get a workable sound".
Don't know how/if I replied but I was thinking along the line of "dinosaurs should not be mixing any music".

Reaction score
And Eddie Offord when he engineered and mixed Yes.

I read somewhere on Gearslutz that two producers agreed "When someone walks in with a Warwick bass I will hand them my Fender Precision so we can get a workable sound".
Don't know how/if I replied but I was thinking along the line of "dinosaurs should not be mixing any music".
That really irks me. It's lazy engineers who only want to have to deal with one bass sound, so they can spend there time mixing the 12 guitar tracks that are in the song (rant).

I've owned lots of Fenders, but in all honesty I can say that I've preferred how my Streamers have sounded in the mix much more. People can be so narrow minded.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Exactly, lazy. The settings are done for a Pbass on ampeg, and that's it.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
OK. NExt time some fucker tells you to play lie Cliff Williams, make him listen to this :

'cuz that's Cliff Williams playing.

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
The first minute is waaaaaay cool. I quit immediately after that extended intro.

Vuk

Dr. Evil
Reaction score
Agree.
Most guitar players I know could grab a bass and follow a song and play the riff, sure. But almost none of them could make it groove, even if their lifes depend on it. :)
Especially the failed guitarist ones. That's where circle comes back around and everyone starts looking for bass players again :D

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
Especially the failed guitarist ones. That's where circle comes back around and everyone starts looking for bass players again :D
I may be eternally just a happy, rudimentary musical hack, but at least I was never a guitar player. So whatever line I manage to work out will be a bass line and not a guitar riff !

Plus, I’m fretless, so I have the magic fudge factor ... sliding to better if I pluck a clam !

Reactions: Vuk
Reaction score
If any other musician gives you crap about being a bass player, just hit em back with this pearler.

Q: What's the difference between a bass player and a gynaecologist?

A: A gynaecologist only has to play with one c*** at a time.

Reaction score
Best way of dealing with those is the classic "Ok."

Reaction score
'Bass players are failed guitarists'

This one annoys me because in my experience, the vast majority of bass players I know can play guitar reasonably well. However the number of times I have seen guitarists playing a bass and not having a clue about feel, tone and just basically playing the melody on it rather than something backing and outlining chords.
same!!!!!!!! annoys me so freaking much(

Top Bottom