Anatomy of a Buzzard

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Wow... that´s a beautiful beast (I would have said SEXY, but you know why I didn´t ;) )

Congrats!

Augie

The Desert Bass-ape
Reaction score
You, Sir, are a monster.
That thing is amazing.
One thing I must ask is why the low string below the high string? all 8ve strung basses seem to do this but wouldn't the other way around be better for fingerstyle play?

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
You, Sir, are a monster.
That thing is amazing.
One thing I must ask is why the low string below the high string? all 8ve strung basses seem to do this but wouldn't the other way around be better for fingerstyle play?

Rickenbacker makes it the other way. But I prefer it this way too. Because you can decide to play only the main string. Takes some time, but works. After this you can train how deep you dig into the string to add the octave string. Playing fingerstyle with the octave string "first" you can´t do this that easy. Still possible, depends on the angle how you hit the strings, but for the main strings only you would have to lay our hand flat onto the top of the bass. Strange position for the right hand.

Last edited:

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Thanks. It's an idea I had from the Corvette Masterman/Streamer Pro-M :)

As for the strings, honestly, I don't know, it seems comfortable to me, an versatile enough to play with fingers and pick. ANd I guess an 8-string bass is easier to play with a pick. I'm just getting started, it takes a bit to get used to the double strings.

Reaction score
Wow congrats mate that is a beast! Maybe some vids for us :)

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
You just hafta ask. :)
Sorry for all the mistakes, it's really just the second time I played it, so...
I made a vid instead of a true soundclip, will record a bit later with GarageBand, but here you can hear the differences between the different setups, using both preamps.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
No real need to split the signal. my LoMenzo sig pedal has a frequency selector, so I can overdrive the high freq and leave le lows alone.
Made a quick test at rehearsal last week, it sounds grat, but really overkill in a two guitars-band.
I also tried it with another strap : the damn thing dived quicker than a depressed Kamikaze over an american aircraft carrier. And it's also impossible to wear it more than half an hour, too heavy and too painful to play. I need to set it up again, the action is a bit high and it's not going to be easy, I guess.
But one thing is certain : the electronic setup with one independent preamp for each pickup is GREAT.

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
that sounds beautiful!
Split the signal, distort the high end and fire your rhythm guitarist!
I like the way this guy thinks.

I also tried it with another strap : the damn thing dived quicker than a depressed Kamikaze over an american aircraft carrier. And it's also impossible to wear it more than half an hour, too heavy and too painful to play. I need to set it up again, the action is a bit high and it's not going to be easy, I guess.
With great power comes great... weight?

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Here are two clips : same song, just with drumes and within the mix.
The setting is thru a Line6 with AMpeg b15 simulation, flat EQ, and slight boost of the bass on the treble p'up.

Sorry for all the wrong thingies.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
ANd here's the test recorded dry and direct into GarageBand.
FIrst all flat, the Bridg p'up, then neck p'up, and also with more or less Bass or treble, to show the differences between both preamps.
Don't hesitate to tell me what you think.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
You sir are never in a Wrong place in my threads :)

I took this beast at the last BassCamp reunion. I must say I had a clear hit on all bass players with this bass :) The most interested person was Yolanda Charles. And, believe me, having some kind of success with Yolanda is a wonderful experience ;- )

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
New neck is sure. Question being do I go broadneck or not ?
Bartolini replacement Pickups are sure. Now which type and wiring is to be discussed.
Preamp replacement is sure. Depending on the pickups, it may be Tonepump, tonecapsule, or Bartolini DNTBT (dual preamp).

I wish there was a single pot preamp that would work like the SWR Aural Enhancer : first half is volume. Then, when you push over the first half, you activate the mid scoop by enhancing the low and highs.
That would be a great, single knob layout.
With two inside pots where you choose the low and high frequency. From low to mid low, and hi mids to hi.
Damn.
I need to patent this idea, quick.

Top Bottom