Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

An amp or a bass?

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by IncX, Mar 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. IncX

IncX

given that you have $2,000 now ... what would you get? an amp or a bass (name the models) ... and why?

2. Kris

Kris

Amp. Because I have a 30 watt Marshall at home to practice with. In the orchestra I play with a 250-watt Nemesis which is very nice, but damn heavy... I'm thinking of getting the new Phil Jones Flightcase BG300 [​IMG]

3. JanVanHove

JanVanHove Artist

Kris, I'm with you on the Phil Jones GAS! the guy makes amazing amps and cabs!

But given 2000$, I'd get myself an 8-string Warwick...

4. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

In order to have a good sound, these things matter:
    1- Bassist's Hands/ Know how
    2- Bass
    3- Strings
    4- Amp

So if you need new gear, it is always the bass, unless you already have your dream bass.
    My 2 cents, of course, cheers/ Flo

5. Kris

Kris

I have a crap amp and my dream bass...

6. Sam C

Sam C

If you have an amp that meets your needs, I would say, GET THE BASS.

7. Mr Praline

Mr Praline Forum Silly Person

If I had $2000 right now, I'd probably spend it on a nice upright bass, because that's what I really need.

8. ThirdthumB

ThirdthumB

I love to get an amp, but I will have issues with my neighbours which I don't want. So I play pretty much all the time with my headphones................So I'd get a bass. 8)

9. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

:(

Dude, all those killer basses and you don't get to ruin your hearing with a 1200 watt head and an 8x10? Can't you pay them off or something? :D

10. Benjamin

Benjamin

I'd definately shoot the money in getting an amp! =D

11. golem

golem Philosopher King

`

Easy for me. An Amp [or rig].

I have too many basses. Maybe too many amps, but that is far fewer in number than basses. Basses are fairly easy to tote. An amp that delivers what's needed without tempting me to hire a roady ? $2000 would take care of that :)
    `

12. Benjamin

Benjamin

I'd buy the amp, because I'm happy with my bass (BUT THE GAS NEVER STOPS) And want more sound to it. I find my Nemesis 120 watt combo to distort a bit when I push it to the level I need with my band. So I'm getting a Xtreme 5.1 and 411 PRO cab (That is, if I like the Xtreme 5.1 and a 211 pro cab wich my local music store is taking in soon =D ) If not, my quest continues!

13. ThirdthumB

ThirdthumB

*sigh*

I went to my local shop yesterday..........Used an "actual" bass amp, the way you supposed to play bass......... :lol: Didn't check what brand it was though.................But the sound................THE SOUND !!!! I can't believe what I'm missing at home........
    Generally, it sounds really good when you play at volumes that the neighbours will complain (or at least they will hear everything). And you don't even have to play that loud................And it's not even one neighbour that will hear it all: neighbours that live three houses away will hear it as well. I can pay one neighbour off.........but three...............That's just too many. :lol:
    Yeah it sucks having no amp, but I got used to it. I got some serious GAS for a non-Warwick though.............
    "Oh really ?? What bass is that ??"
    Well, it's good you asked. It's an Ibanez.......... :shock: :lol: But this one seriously kicks a$$. It's the 20th anniversary LTD. It's got a Wenge/Bubinga neck. The bubinga strips are actually figured, and is pretty much the same as Bubinga Pommele. Love this detail. And the body is Mahogany. It's got a Wenge fretboard too. Advertisement says it's a Rosewood board, but it really looks like a Wenge board to me...........Anyway, it was the best sounding bass that day. Beautifully made, and it's actually made in Japan (Team J. craft) unlike the current prestige soundgear basses that are made in Korea these days. I will be checking it out again with my own gear (headphones and BASS POD), and who knows.................blah blah blah, so I don't have an amp. Sorry. :lol:

14. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

$2000 isn't enough for my dream bass :mrgreen:

I'm happy with my setup. But I'd probably spend some of it on upgrading the preamp of my Thumb BO, and the rest on another setup to have in UK when I move there.

15. Benjamin

Benjamin

Oh boy will my neighbours be pissed with me when I get that amp, I don't care! =P
    I'm hoping to get in to music school next year to. And if I do. I'm gonna choose drums as secondary instrument the second and third year. So I'll need a drumkit! =D

16. ge7243

ge7243

Probably Amp, considering I'll have a passable-bass within the next few months.

I'd definitely not mind having a Markbass rig, just trying that small 2x6 combo sounded really great, with the simplicity making it all the more trouble free. A bigger rig would probably be in order, though, considering my Ampeg combo may be able to fill the small-venue roll. The XLR-out is nice too. Just the amp is quite heavy. :(

Is it worth hooking up to a PA? I'm not sure about how well that'd sound, and apparently leaving your sound up to the guys operating the PA at my school would result in you simply not being heard. :p

17. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

I'd get some hookers & a 44 gallon drum of single malt.Bugger wasting money on basses & amps.

18. avionix543

avionix543

Didn't the governor of New York just do that?? ~M~

19. maddrakkett

maddrakkett R.I.P.

Tough choice. I already have 5 Warwicks that I love to death, including my dream Thumb NT, but I also have lots of GAS for a Streamer Stage 1 or LX and I also fantasize about a Dolphin...

As for an amp, I already have my dream rig SWR Mo' Bass/Goliath III and I have a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T combo held for me to pick up on the 21st of this month. 175W (300W w/ext. cab), 1X10, tweeter all in an 18lb. package that shakes the walls and rattles everything in the room!

Since I will have both my small gig lightweight "giant" and my larger gig rig, I guess I would put the money into the Streamer I desire...

20. Gerry

Gerry

I wish the ATK was still made in Japan. It was like a better Music Man at a third of the price...and I like MM's.