Ampeg vs. SWR vs. Warwick

Reaction score
As I told my sad story before hehehe, I have to buy a head without testing it, that's why I post a compairson thread like this one.

Well, I have the chance of buying one of these 3:

- Ampeg Svt3-Pro
- Warwick Profet 5.1
- SWR 350X

Which one would you choose and why?

I know the Ampeg is full of tubes and it says to be 450w. But everyone says it's not as loud as it says... And the Profet is 500w! Maybe the SWR would come last?

(PS: Sorry for the post in the wrong section before!)

Thanks for any reply!

Reaction score
I recently had the chance to a/b the swr and ampeg and I walked away a fan of the swr sound. Deep, and dry in texture. The ampeg sound to me (unless it is a svt 2) is nasal sounding and simply "played out". I aways have to be different, I know someone will say "classic".

Reaction score
And what about the volume? The SVT is 450w and the SWR is 350w. IS the Ampeg way louder?

Thanksss!

Reaction score
Man, these amps are almost as different as they get. If you're not sure about what kind of sound you want from your amp, why don't you just use a power amp? I know they can be really cheap second-hand, and really loud and powerful.

Reaction score
what do you mean by a power amp? (not experienced bass player here, sorry)

something like this?

well, i need to hear myself at stage and get a descent tone (not the best one, probably). i know they are totally different, but, in a simple question, let's say... which one would be the louder? =)

thanks!

Reaction score
No, something like .

That SansAmp is not an amp, it's a preamp/DI-box. Actually, when using a power amp, it would be handy to have something like the SansAmp as well...

What kind of sound are you looking for? Which famous bass player's sound do you like? We can help you choose. If you're not sure, my advice is to go for a ProFet. It's powerful enough for most venues, and its sound is IMHO most universal of these three...

Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for the help!

Well... I have a Corvette FNA. I know it sounds different from the Thumb Ryan Martinie uses in Mudvayne, it sounds different than the Streamer Dirk Lance used to have in Incubus, and probably different than the bass Stu Zender own as well.

But well, amp talking, these are the sounds I like hahaha... =)

Thanks again!

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Question: Are all power amps created equal or do you need a special type to amplify bass?

R

RealDeal

Ref: "Ampeg vs. SWR vs. MarkBass vs. Genz-Benz
vs. anything..."

I hate these comparisons because what works for one player might not sound right for another.

We have to consider the entire signal chain and most importantly the player and what he/she does. It's all subjective.

I own Mesa, Trace, Genz, Ampeg, AER, Jaguar, EA, and MarkBass gear, I've owned GK, SWR and many others in the past.

Finding and getting tone is a challenge, an art, and a blast!
PLAY them, on stage, in the mix, live, and by your own self, and see what works.
HINT: Many do.

When I hear that "Ampeg is muddy" or "SWR is sterile" etc.:mad:

Ridiculous.

I don't like anyone to speak for ME!

:twisted:

Reaction score
I just got a SWR black beauty and a Jr Goliath 210. Its rated at 600 watts with the 210 so its plenty loud (maybe get a 410 for more omph). I like how crystal clear it is, but still shakes ♣♣♣♣! This may be something to consider. The eq is very usable, the compressor and octaver are very cool! There is also an extra rack space for a tuner or more extensive eq if you like! The combo and cabinet cost me about 1600 bucks. Not bad =D

Reaction score
I hate these comparisons because what works for one player might not sound right for another. We have to consider the entire signal chain and most importantly the player and what he/she does. It's all subjective. Finding and getting tone is a challenge, an art, and a blast! PLAY them, on stage, in the mix, live, and by your own self, and see what works.

When I hear that "Ampeg is muddy" or "SWR is sterile" etc. Ridiculous. I don't like anyone to speak for ME!

A huge +1.

Reaction score
I don't like the comparisons, but I know some of these guys live places were they really can't go try gear. And some just don't have experience buying... just trying to help. Also, the power amp thing is ok, but you need some sort of front end (preamp, used for sound sculpting). And if you are picky a high damping rate (more solid bass image). I have gone the power amp route before and with a preamp, you spend just as much and have more junk to mess with. I say just buy a complete head unit.

R

RealDeal

It would be great if every locale had a center within reasonable distance where a player could try out EVERY piece of gear in optimium conditions and then decide what they liked...

Yeah, right! Dream On!8:
(would be nice tho!)

I've bought some gear "blind" based on specs, reputation, feedback, and "gut feeling".

My recent purchase of an AER AMP ONE is an example and it did not disappoint.

Thing is- In (some of) my projects- the ideal tone I seek and get would be totally wrong and unsatisfactory for another bassist, and vice-versa.

I LOVE my 3-PRO, other players...don't. Kewl.

I don't favor certain gear, but others- it does the trick.

There is but one and only one undisputable, absolute, certainty about what piece of Bass gear rules... Just one....

C'mon, you know what I'm talking about.

W-A-R-W-I-C-K basses.

Don't dig those, ...take up clarinet!:twisted:

Reaction score
you have to know what sound you want to hear.

ampeg: i play an svt 6 pro. love it. it sounds kind of aggressive with much growl and barking mids. but not "muddy". i like the svt 3 pro too, but i needed more power :)

swr: i tried one once (don´t know which model). FOR ME it was too hifi and too dry. i just don´t like the trebly sound. but swr products are known for their good quality.

profet 5.1: had one of those and didn´t like it. just loud, but no punch that could cut through the band.

R

RealDeal

For me, one of the nicer things in life is playing and hearing the differences and nuances between the great rigs I run.

My Trace AH 500-7 is a completely different animal than my 3-PRO, and my
Tec-Amp Puma 500 is voiced differently than my LM II LE, which is way different than my Neo-Pak 3.5.

And my tube rigs- The B15R Portaflex has a different timbre than my V4BH with an SVT-15E...Same circuit, but different drivers.

And my BUSTER 2x10 and Jaguar 200- Each has it's own awesome voice.

The "synergy" of a head to a cab, the style and attack of the player, the type of music and it's sonic goal- R&B vs. R'nR vs Funk vs. Fusion vs Jazz vs Metal and so on.

So much good gear, but no one solution. Find what you like, learn to maximize it's sonic potential, and then-
Buy something else for tonal variety- or not!
:idea:

Reaction score
I suppoert RealDeal here.. A lot of things depends of your bass and style of music. You can even get away with a cheap Behringer-stack, or a budget-Hartke. But nonetheless, the reputation of known brands as Ampeg, Warwick, SWR, Mesa etc... its the stability of delivering products that lasts that counts.

I`ve had one of my Warwick-cabs changing one speaker for three times now, due to loose components and/or transport-damager, and I`m getting tired of it. But still, I haven`t payed a penny for replacements, and the price vs sound is great!

Reaction score
I suppoert RealDeal here.. A lot of things depends of your bass and style of music. You can even get away with a cheap Behringer-stack, or a budget-Hartke. But nonetheless, the reputation of known brands as Ampeg, Warwick, SWR, Mesa etc... its the stability of delivering products that lasts that counts.

I`ve had one of my Warwick-cabs changing one speaker for three times now, due to loose components and/or transport-damager, and I`m getting tired of it. But still, I haven`t payed a penny for replacements, and the price vs sound is great!

but there´s nothing worse than unrelieable equipment. my ww-neocabs broke twice. i could have repaired it, but i need something i can trust.

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I hate these compairson too... every one have their own perfect tone in the head, so that`s why we have these lots of equipments, to please everyone hahahaha...

The thing is I don`t have how to test them, really... I think the nearest ampeg right now from where I am is about 500 km... hahahaha... So what I'm really asking is your opinions over these heads, not really "which one is the best" 'cause you can`t really know which one I think it's the best bass sound, 'cause it's only in my head hahaha...

Anyway, thanks for all the replies... I think I'll go for the svt-3. In the Ampeg website it says it`s the same head Claypool and Trujillo uses... Do you guys think it`s true? hahaha.. I know that guy from mudvayne uses a Ampeg, and I really like his tone...

That will be one hell of a blind purchase! =) - (I bought my bass on a blind purchase as well, and i just love it, I'm not afraid)

R

RealDeal

As posted before, I own lots of rigs, way too many I suppose, but I love 'em all and work them too.

On another Forum, famous for its idiots, a poster PM'd me once to ask for my opinion re: 3-PRO vs. Neo-Pak, seeing as how I own both.

I did him the favour of a detailed reply,stating how the two amps were voiced differently, with very distinct tonal characteristics of each, etc. etc.
Really got into it.

He PM'd back: "Thanks, Man! I sold the 3-PRO and the Neo just buries it!"

What a Tool! (I'm being polite).

I often substitute the Neo for the 3-PRO using the same stack-when I feel like the more pronounced modern tone of Genz-Benz over the deep, phat, Ampeg tube resonance I can get from the 3-PRO...BOTH do the job amazingly...and with their own personality.

As far as buying blind- I've done so recently- With an amazing AER AMP ONE, and the TecAmp PUMA 500- Based on specs, feedback, and also in the case of PUMA, hearing it played (by others) at NAMM.

I was not disappointed in any way-just the opposite- Delighted.

Hope you have the same result with your decison whatever happens.
And as has been stated, MOST of the bass gear on the market is very good, and absolutely capable of producing good sounds- The rest is up to us- the player.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom