ampeg svt-3 pro

Reaction score
ok, here i am again...

i want to buy a good bass head. - and i can afford a ampeg svt3-pro

what do you guys think about this equipment? is it loud? tone?
can i plug a 1x15 cab and a 4x10 cab simultaneously on it?

i don't know much about this 8ohms, 4ohms thing. at ampeg website it says:

RMS Power Output (8 Ohms): 275-Watts
RMS Power Output (4 Ohms): 450-Watts

what is it about? is it 450 or 275 watts?
does it depend on the cab type?

where i can get info about it?
i just tried google but couldn`t really find an easy explanation...

well, thanks in advance!

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Shame on you Greg!

Rush, I hope the ohms thing is clear now. About the amp... I used one for about 3 years. It is a decent, clean amp, it has a nice sound. It was not loud for live... so, for big stages it is a little bit too quiet for my taste.
It has a nice, clean, round sound, but it is not the "AMPEG signature sound". ACtually a Warwick Tubepath will sound more like an ampeg than a SVT 3 pro.
So my conclusion - not a bad amp, if you get a good deal, buy it. But don't expect it to be loud, and don't expect big tube sound.

Reaction score
Well, I can't understand why an Ampeg with like, 5 tubes, doesn't have the Ampeg tube sound! hahahaha... But I surelly understand what you mean.. Probably that's why the svt-3 is like, half the price the others SVT. At least around here.

The point is. I would really like to buy an ampeg head. but i live in southern Brazil, and well, there are not many ampegs around here for testing... i would have to go to Sao Paulo (major city) and test all the ampegs i could there, but i don't have much/money time to do so... it's too damn far hahaha... - Telling a little bit of my story, when i bought my FNA, I had to bought it from Sao Paulo without even playing it once! hahahaha... Just spending hours on the internet researching (and i just joined this forum now...) And thank god it was perfect. Now it's like, I have the best bass in my town! hahahaha...

Back to the head thing, the SVT3 is like $3200 in SP plus another $150 for shipping to my town... Used. When new it's like $4700 (+ shipping). There are several good GK heads or even Ampegs (both without tubes) for around $2500.

I just don't know what to buy hahaha... Well, maybe I should just move to another country... Damn. hahahaha

THANKS for the help and explanations so far, you guys are the best...

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RealDeal

I'm a fan of Ampeg tone, it's classic and set a standard- I own a 3-PRO, a PB800, a V4BH, and a B15R; I also use (2) Classic cabs, an SVT-15E and an awesome 4x8 w/ a horn.

I agree that the 3-PRO is not the most powerful amp on the market. Some say that the wattage rating is unrealistic; I don't know. It does have a great DI, so with FOH you are right in the mix.

I personally feel it has a "classic Ampeg sound". The tube preamp path is the same as an SVT, the power section is solid state.
It has a fine eq, a tube drive that adds excellent punch and definition, and a great 9-band graphic that can really tailor the sound- Frankly, I play with the settings nearly flat I like the voicing so well.
Everyone's style, attack, and approach is different, as are their tonal goals.
The character of the 3-PRO with a players bass and as part of their signal chain may not be the answer; that's up to the end user to determine!

Wow- those prices are crazy high! The current models go for about $900 US; I bought my SLM-made version new for about $600, and it has been a great piece of gear for my style, use, and taste.

Reaction score
i have one.. every once in a while i get unsatisfied with my sound, i just turn the knobs get a different sound and i'm happy with it again. i got it 2nd hand and i couldn't be happier with it... there are several better sounding amps but the svt3 in a band sounds really well. never got underpowered in stage and i play with a loud drummer... the most i loud i played i had the master vol about 75%....freaking loud!!!
if you like the svt3 also has a power amp in you can try the real sound of your bass!

Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin
I think it's a great amp!! Most of the other "tube preamp" amps out there only have one tube at the input which TO ME does nothing. I cannot hear any "tube" sounds for these amps. The SVT-3Pro has a "tubey" type sound. Either go with the Warwick Tubepath or the SVT-3Pro unless you just go with an all tube amp (your best bet for TUBE sounds).

Florin

OG
Reaction score
This baby sounds much tubier than the svt 3 pro:

And then again... the tubepath sounds much tubier than the svt pro too.

Reaction score
I have never tried the amp you are talking about Florin but there's one thing I'd like to say about the svt3-pro : I own this amp and I changed the tubes because the ones inside when you buy it are really of low quality. Once I changed the tubes I was literally blown away by the sound. I think it is a really good amp but... the best thing to do is to find a second hand made in the USA...

Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin
I have never tried the amp you are talking about Florin but there's one thing I'd like to say about the svt3-pro : I own this amp and I changed the tubes because the ones inside when you buy it are really of low quality. Once I changed the tubes I was literally blown away by the sound. I think it is a really good amp but... the best thing to do is to find a second hand made in the USA...

I agree, I installed a Telefunken diamond plate (NOS 1960's) as the input gain and GE's (NOS 1960's) for the other 4. It may be all in my head, but I think it sounds "tubey".

R

RealDeal

I have (4) all-tube amps- meaning tube pre/tube power section:

A B15R, a V4BH, a Mesa BUSTER, and an incredible Jaguar 200-
(you NEED to explore this mfr... Welcome Jaguar Amplification)
Feel free to drool, you should hear my $$ through it...:twisted:

back to topic-
The TubePaths aren't available in the US- shame! They should be-

But I can attest that IMO at least the 3-PRO is the goods. I've had mine for several years, SLM with the original tubes, and it has the tube sound.

No, it doesn't bloom as an all-tube power section does- The V4BH is the equivalent of the 3-PRO, but overall, the depth and resonance are classic Ampeg in nature.
If you like Ampeg tone- no worries.

Attachments

• JAG.jpg
    JAG.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 357
Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I've used the SVT-3PRO for the last 5 years and have yet to find a convincing reason to switch to something else, for tone or power. Although I agree about upgrading the tubes from stock. I could argue with myself about the Hellborg or a Demeter preamp, but not for the money it would cost...

Reaction score
on topic, what tubes did you guys go to or recommend? i need new tubes anyway, and need all the tone i can get out of my 3 preamp tubes. +1 usa made :-D

Reaction score
For 12AX7's (ECC83), I'd highly recommend JJ/Tesla. They are similar to the old Telefunkin tubes for a tenth of the price...

R

RealDeal

SVT3: great tone, little volume

well, yeah, if you're trying to be Metallica e.g.
I dunno, I play R&B R'nR and we can hit it pretty hard.
The 3-PRO doesn't lack for me, but then again, there are projects that
ummm, "require" a greater db level than mine...

But-- FOH. Most venues I work, even small/mid size ones have 'em.
The DI in the 3 PRO is very clean, so, if you're playing in the mix,...

It doesn't matter...
Does it?:?:

Reaction score
The 3-PRO doesn't lack for me...

+1

I suppose it's only fair to admit that I don't leave home without my bass driver/preamp pedal (MXR M-80) which pushes the 3PRO's preamp plenty. I might complain about the 3PRO's volume without it. But as far as I'm concerned, as long as I can hear myself in rehearsal (not through a PA) and as a stage monitor for shows (through a PA), I'm good. The audience isn't hearing your 450-watt power amp or cabinet (or even 1200-watt power amp) at bigger shows anyway - they hear your preamp/DI through the 50,000-watt PA... 8:

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I think the 3 pro's DI is dull... I used a 3 pro for 3-4 years...

Reaction score
Check these

Hi,

I won't debate about hybrid qualifications, but like others said that those prices are grazy high. If you're into full tube sound please check these two links for SVT-2Pro:

Cheaper:

Other:

Rather cheap SVT-2Pro's. Then you don't have to think about "tubey" sound, it is full tube :) Ok I know someone might like to have solid state sound also.

Shipping costs may be rather expensive, but you can always ask tax free price as you're living in Brazil ( tax in Germany is approx 180€) in this case. Anyway you'll have it in half price, no matter if postal payments are extremely high, comparing those prizes in Sao Paolo.

Yes I did ordered chearper option to my self :lol:

Br, Mika

R

RealDeal

Hey guys, my .02 (that's about .01 Euro, no??!8:)

YES- the 3PRO is not the loudest amp on the market. My Trace AH-500 rated at 500 RMS is louder; I have a Genz Neo-Pak, rated 350 @ 4 ohms, probably louder; and my 200-Watt Tube amps; the BUSTER and mighty JAGUAR 200-

...Don't even think about it.

But with GAIN up, I've rarely gone past 12 O'Clock Master. Some state that enabling the Graphic on the 3-PRO kicks the volume up- Yes it does, but I still don't have the need my own self.
And the DI...Florin ! :shock: Mah Man! Vas is los??

We all have different ears, true that. But I have had lots of Soundmen (and even Soundwomen-) smile when they see I load in an Ampeg, because they know the DI is gonna be a no-brainer and they can dial it right in.
I dunno, maybe in Europe theres something different sonically! (just got back from London & the Cotswalds, btw, and for my English friends- Magnificent country- Food...not so much!)

At any rate, the 3-PRO DI has delivered for me in many gigs, many stages, many states, indoors/outdoors, never a problem. but like I say- We all do it different.

As for the II-PRO- That's about as tubular as it will ever get these days; it's a little more sophisticated version of the SVT basically, with a graphic eq.

Use one, and if you dig the Ampeg vibe for bass, you will never lack- ever.

Key phrase- IF you dig the Ampeg "vibe"-
There is SO much new gear, much of it real good, and there is so much change and stuff from 'Peg, that it has been dragged down.
Too bad- It made bass what it is today; and I totally understand it's sound is not what everyone digs.

But read- "AMPEG- the story behind the sound" and you can't help but luv it if you play bass...
The pictures alone are worth it- The Stones, Duck, Jamerson- nice!

And last, but certainly not least- I sadly own but (1) 'Wick-
The AWESOME $$--- Fretted four, Nirvana Black, one of the best that hangs with anything else I've got (and I got LOTS)-

...Through my 3PRO...

:d:!:

Top Bottom