Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

amp theory thing...

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by Stroud, Jan 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Stroud

Stroud

I was just thinking about what actually goes on in a head and i was wondering why you never really see rigs that are made up of a simple quality preamp with no extras, a 31 band graphic eq and a power amp. i see no reason why this sort of thing isnt the most versatile tone wise, simple, effective etc etc etc

any thoughts on this?

2. JanVanHove

JanVanHove Artist

Force of habit I guess, People expect a stack of speakers and a head to do a proper rig...

Many bassisit use a D.I. box and go directly into the PA...

PJ

3. Escobon

Escobon

For me, even that basic design would be overkill. I'd trade 21 bands of EQ for an effects loop. I too believe in simplicity.

O

4. Lex

Lex Warwick Endorser

i like to keep things simple too... i have a Trace Elliot V-type head with gain, volume, deep and bright switches, then a bass/mid/treble EQ.

That's it.. keep it simple!

5. TBS

TBS

Whenever I feel I can trust the sound guys I am a D.I box guy, as simple as it can get. Even with effects, most multieffect units nowadays are equipped with a D.I

All my basses have either two or three band onboard EQ which usually is enough for tweaking the sound.

On the other hand sometimes people will not respect you in the metal scence without a big stack rumbling behind you :?

6. shtik

shtik

For me, a good rig is a one that you just need to bring the volume up. second best is a one that you need to turn that "contour" control about half way up, and the worse rigs are the ones that you actually need to use that 9/15 band graphic eq, while tweaking the fully parametric mids, AND pushing the deep and bright switches (can take a while) just to hear something that reminds you the sound of your bass... :lol:

7. mala

mala

+1 for that. I run my rig on flat EQ and no filters involed most of the time, if I need to tweak the sound I do it on the bass. The new amp coming in only has volume and three tone control knobs, no filter what so ever, but an effect loop. Cheers / mats

8. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

New amp Mats?Another custom shop Windmill?You know what I want mate. :p

9. mala

mala

Yepp, it's actually the first one from the production, an 800 W head but I will definitl keep my EBS Fafner as well. Also awaiting a 212 cab. The 115, 212 and 210 have a total load of 2 Ohms together and both amps can handle that. Great punch :lol: cheers / mats

10. Casey

Casey Guest

I never liked having to fool around with all the eq's and buttons and such... Too much of a pain for me... I always like just using my Sansamp bass driver D.I. althought I no longer own it. But the eq on my thumb bo is good enough for me :) lotta treb and the pan rolled back to the bridge :)

11. saxonbass

saxonbass

I use a DI now, and use the Mark Bass combo just for stage monitoring. I've just ordered an EBS microbass II to use as a DI box. I trust the soundguy, but I'd prefer just a bit more control over the sound going into the desk.

I bought my Mark Bass stuff in my last band... if I'd known how things were going to turn out I could have saved myself a lot of money and not bought the 15" extension cab!

12. FMJ

FMJ

Ive thought of doing a similar type thing a while back. But just going between the idea you've had and a just Aguilar/EBS Preamp - Poweramp - DI. While you have complete control over each individual frequency, for us lazy folk, its easier just to get something that will sound good straight out and cost less or around the same price. IF you do go this option, dont be cheap. You're better off getting a quality amp/eq/preamp than going cheap. After touring recently, there is a big difference between the sound they pump out, plus your product should be more reliable than the cheap stuff.

But the reality of it is, no matter how awesome your stage sound is, you're always at the mercy of the soundguy. A good one will leave your tone alone or maybe improve it a little... a bad one, well then, im sure we've had a few of those and we could probably use some colourful language to describe them :wink:. Once again, quality gear will lead to a better sound out front.

Like most of the guys here, Im quite happy with a simple setup. Im running an Eden 330 Head, which is Vol, Gain, Compressor, Bass, Mid, Treble. A couple of basses need a bit of EQ'ing but most of the time my EQ stays pretty much flat.
    Only complaint I have is not enough headroom 405w into 2ohms and 5speakers doesnt work too well, so a poweramp will be added in the future... and maybe another cab with 10s in it... :lol:

13. Stroud

Stroud

i wasnt planning on actually doing this i was just "thinking aloud" as you could say. But yes you are right, a weak preamp, eq or poweramp would ruin the entire setup

lol that would be a yes :D several times but so far not on a gig of any perticular importnce

14. Michael J

Michael J

as much as I like the idea of simplictity, if i was rich i'd have so many preamps going into one poweramp. I find great satisfaction in filling a 40 space rack unit with crap i dont need....

...but I'll probably just stick with my Nemesis even if i get rich.

15. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Do you have an old Trace(Gibson) or new Trace(Peavey) Lex?