amp power

rob

Reaction score
Hi,
i'm on my way to buy a bass amp (top and box) and i wondered how much power such an amp has to have? 500W...750W...or even more?
Thanks for your help...
Rob

Reaction score
I think some people would say 300 minimum for small gigs and practices. I got 1000 watt amp so that mine would run easier than a smaller amp at the same volume. The more watts you have spare the better I think. It just becomes harder to find decent cabs to match the power for an affordable price. Between 500 and 800 should be plenty. When you get into a large gig there is normally a pa so that will take care of the rest.

Valve amps are also louder (tubes for the foreigners ie. non British) but tend to be more maintenance than solid state amps.

Factor in also your musical style. If you are playing metal (and maybe hard rock etc) then you will need a louder amp. My 300watt laney struggled against a 75 watt line 6 spider 2 guitar amp and a very loud thrashy drummer. My 1000 watt warwick can match the 2 350 watt mode four marshall full stacks and an even louder thrashy drummer.

If you are doing Jazz, then it's no where near as much of an issue.

Happy shopping.

Reaction score
Jus remember,higher wattage does not always mean higher volume. :wink:
A good formula to adopt is the 4:1. The bass rig should have 4 times the wattage of the guitars.

sethsbase

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
Four to one, Greg? I though you played a Thumb bass!! 8)

JanVanHove

Artist
Reaction score
You should aim for the right sound for you, and not just power. Power can be added with poweramps and PA support, sound comes from the right head (or even just the right pre-amp)...

Another thing to keep in mind is that in general, tube amps sound louder than solid state amps at the same power rating...

Top Bottom