Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

amp help

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by Vinnie, Oct 5, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Vinnie

Vinnie

Hi all, I own a peavy combo amp with 15 inch speaker (TKO 115) This doesn't seem to have enough power too it and won't keep up with the loudness of the rest of my band without distorting. I am thinking about getting a 2x10 cab to hook up to the peavy combo.(It does have a 1/4 in. jack in the back.) Would this be a good idea to solve the problem? I do not want to buy an entire new setup.

2. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

It certainly won't hurt anything. More speakers mean you'll push more air. And by adding an extension cabinet you'll cut the resistance on your power amp in half (from 8 ohms to 4 ohms), and up the wattage. You'd have to buy an 8 ohm 2x10 by the way.

The big problem with combo amps (including the Peavey), however, is they are typically low wattage. So by switching from 8 ohms to 4 ohms, you'll only go from a power amp output of 75 watts to 100 watts. This is very likely not enough to make a significant increase in overall volume.

Probably not what you want to hear. But better than dropping the cash only to be disappointed. Low frequencies (bass) take a lot more wattage to increase actual volume than does a guitar.

3. odominguez

odominguez Guest

Exactly. Not only that, but if you double the power you will only get a 3dB increase in the overall loudness coming out of your amp. The louder you go, the harder it is to notice the difference too.

As said by EVOLVEBASS, I suggest not spending the money in that option and saving a little more to change your amp to bigger rig in esence.

4. Vinnie

Vinnie

Oh well... I guess I will have to live with it for now until I have more money. :/