Amp combo help, decided. Thanks everyone!

Avram

Thread Killer
Reaction score
So.... I am looking at amp combos, I know I want a high quaility combo for my money. I know I dont want to spend more than 300 USD, or there-abouts. I have some choices listed at the link below:

Anyway....could anyone give me some feedback on my choices, I guess I am really comparing Ampeg to Warwick to Ashdown in about the same price range. Just some info on the comparisons would be nice, if anyone here has any experience with any of these amps.

Oh yeah, I will be using a Rockbass Corvette Classic, if that helps.

Reaction score
I reviewed the BA112 on that website and own one my self- heres my review:

Features: For a practice amp, this amplifier has a very responsive tone section. Its also very simple, and its 12" speaker alows it to be used for many styles of music. Also, the headphone and AV plugs are helpful as well, particuarly in a combo. Overall, the features seem well selected by R&D at Ampeg.
Quality: This things tough as steel, made in america, and the speaker has resisted being pushed far to hard many times. And it survived beer being spilt on it. I think it passes.

The tone is excellent. However, the price is daunting for only 50 watts and few features, which i think will discourage purchases, but if bought used, this is a very good deal.

Overall, the tone is very nice and incredibly navigatble, and the quality is excellent. Although entry level musicians may be scared of the price tag, its worth the money i think, because i must say, it can be pushed hard to match some 100 watt combos.

If you want a gigging amp, id score the Ampeg 115 or the Ashdown 115...
if its just jamming around with people and small small gigs or anything like that id go with the Ampeg 112 or the Warwick 112.

Reaction score
toeturecellbass said:
But that Ampeg is no longer made in the USA its made in the C-H-I-N-A

Yeah this was last year.

Im very dissapointed in LOUD technologys for moving production to China.

Avram

Thread Killer
Reaction score
China huh? Shame....Yeah I am mostly going to be playing with myself (heh heh :lol: ) or with a single guitarist. I would, however like to get as much tone-range out of my bass as possible, given my budget. I certainly need no more than 100 watts for now, I'm not in a band. Though I am thinking that 15 watts may be too little for the loud-aggressive type of playing I plan on doing. (Think Anthrax, Faith no More, Iron Maiden, Megadeath, you know...fast, heavy rhythm with lots of thump and twang mixed in.

Anyway, I used to own a fender 50 watt, and it was not loud enough for me, even alone, although it was years ago and a low end amp, even then.

Thanks again for the input, keep em coming! :D

Reaction score
I am a big Ampeg guy... I have had a lot of amps and i am pretty happy with my (way too big) Ampeg stacks. That being said I really liked the Warwick combo amps last time I used 1... I thought next to the Ampeg combo it had way better tone and control. If I was in need of a combo I would not get the Ampeg... I would get a Trace Elliot (I used to have 1 and it had very nice tone) or Aguilar (I was told the Epifany is awesome too but have not tried 1 myself) The Eden and SWR stuff is nice too. But in the lower price range I think the Warwick sounds better than the Ampeg.

If you like to play around with FX the line 6 stuff is actually fun.

If you have a way to sit down and play with some amps thats the best way by far to decide what suits you. Good Luck :)

Avram

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Ok....I have toned down my choices now to this:

Basically, I decided I don't need a 15in woofer, 12 is fine but 10 is too small. 50 watts is my minimum required wattage, imho, but I do like the idea of input jacks for a cd/mp3 player.

Does the 80 watt Warwick (Take 12) have those? and, is it worth the extra hundred bucks over the 60 watt (Blue Cab)? Let me know if you know, and thanks again for the help! :D

Reaction score
Too bad you went away from the Ampeg BA-115. I owned one like that for 3 years, and it`s a really good practice/smaller gigs-amp. It`s worth the extra money, because you allways end up wanting more.

jay

Reaction score
Believe it or not the Fender Rumble 100 has an asesome tone for the money. I have had great luck with mine...

Avram

Thread Killer
Reaction score
hmmm......maybe I should reconsider....I do like the BA115, just trying to spend less and get more, you know....

:wink:

Still, I am very open to suggestions.

Reaction score
Tonely I have never been a fan of the Ampeg practice amp line. I own an Ampeg rig but there practice amps I think are just to muddy sounding. Id go for the Warwick Blue 60 unless you want the 80 watts from the take 12. Since you are not gigging yet I'd start with the Blue cab and move up from there

Reaction score
I agree... I might get the 80 though... depends if you want the horn or not.

I am gonna do a little more looking... I'm not as up on combo's as I am on stacks...

Avram

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Thanks....this all helps alot. I have been looking at Gallien-Krueger also, not much into Fender....

I was wondering though, 15in vs 12in vs 10in speakers.....in a nutshell, is the basic tonal difference as I would imagine it? You know, deepest, deep, and punchy, respectively? Just curious, I don't mean to open up a whole other can of worms, but if anyone has opinions, I'm listening (reading).

Here's a link to my latest maybe-amp wish list:

:)

Reaction score
i'd describe it more as deep/punchy/articulate generally

Avram

Thread Killer
Reaction score
That helps. Sounds like a 1-12 is for me. Now to choose which one.... :wink:

Avram

Thread Killer
Reaction score
:lol:

See what I mean. Its a tough decision. Both amps are good, prices are close. Luckily I don't have cash for either this week, so I still have time before I buy....

So the 60w over the 80w huh? I really like the cd input on the bluecab 60 as well. The Take 12 looks nice though, but is it worth 100 bucks more? decisions, decisions......

Reaction score
Well, the Ampeg is 100W, so it all depends on how much juice you want.

...over time, you always want more juice. 8)

Avram

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help everyone....I think I will go with the Warwick Blue Cab 60....It seems to have everything I want in a combo, is under 300 USD, and doesn't weigh 60 pounds.

I think for now, 60 watts should be enough for me (though I do know that enough is really never enough)....When I'm ready for more or whenever, if ever, I play with a band I'll get myself a nice stack and head.

Cheers to all of you that helped with this discision, it was a rough one! :D

Top Bottom