Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Amp 3 point crossover and horn attenuator

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by Vinnie, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Vinnie

Vinnie

Whats all this stuff? Its on my amp but I dont know what it does. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

2. Stroud

Stroud

a crossover splits the frequency into bands so they can be sent to speakers that will handel them efficiently. For example my band uses a three band crossover so all the high frequencies get sent to the 12 inch cabs with horns, the middle frequencies getting sent to the 15inch cabs and the lows being sent to the 18 inch cabs. This all improves the overall efficiency of the set up.

3. saxonbass

saxonbass

... and the horn attenuator is basically a separate volume control on the HF horn in the cab. I tend to switch mine right off (on extension cab - can't adjust on the combo)... but if you like to play slap or want some more higher notes (or overtones), experiment with it. they are often a bit fierce if turned right up.

When you get used to all those controls, you'll probably think they're great for getting a good tone, but can be a bit confusing at first. My advice is to start with everything more or less average and move them slightly til you start to hear what you want.

Is the 3 way crossover in the PA or the bass amp? Never seen one in a bass amp before!

4. Vinnie

Vinnie

Thanks for the help so far guys. :D

And the crossover is on the cab.

5. odominguez

odominguez Guest

If it's on the cab basically it's just dividing the signal into three different signals to distribute between the speakers inside the cab. As explained before by other members, this helps to efficiently reproduce the sound you are trying to create.