Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Amazing Gig last night

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by One Bad Monkey, Oct 9, 2012.

1. One Bad Monkey

One Bad Monkey

I found out that a singer/songwriter from North Carolina (that I've played with when she and her husband were in town) was back in town over the weekend, playing a kirtan at a yoga center last night. I messaged her on FB to ask when and where it was, because I thought it would be cool to see a kirtan, especially one that a friend was doing. Her message back was simply...

"You wanna sit in?"

Simply put, I grabbed my fretless (a CS Corvette $$ 6 string in "Lex Sadler" gloss white) and amp and left any and all preconceived notions or ideas at the house. The 90 minutes that the gig lasted were flat out AMAZING. I had a couple of lead sheets, but most of the song structure was figured out either by ear or the singer whispering it to me. At the end, the singer commented at how subtly and sweetly I played, silently filling out the space without overpowering it. One of the other musicians (a guitarist/dulcimerist) said that I had a really deep sense of groove, which he loved.

All in all it was amazing, and I was told that whenever they're back in town (usually once-twice a year), she's definitely grabbing me for more shows. And to think, I just wanted to sit in the audience and enjoy it... :lol:

2. Eberbachl

Eberbachl

Nice one Jon! Sounds like a great gig! Any pics or video in existence?

:d

3. Warwick Official

Warwick Official

Sounds incredible, Jon!

4. One Bad Monkey

One Bad Monkey

I doubt it. Aside from being dimly lit, it was a very intimate setting to the point of having signs up that said "no technology beyond this point." There are, however, a number of YouTube vids if you want to check out what a kirtan exactly is.

Bonus is that I have another musician friend in town that plays these regularly (with another local artist) that has been subtly hinting that I should check it out and see what I think. So, I have some opportunities to learn some more about this wonderful music with another artist as well.

5. Eberbachl

Eberbachl

Nice... I'm off to do some kirtan research.

:d