Advice on trade - Thumb for a Buzzard

Reaction score
As the title says, i've got the option of trading my thumb BO 5 for a buzzard BO - in straight trade which I like.

My only reservation atm is that it's a 4 string (I prefer 5ers atm)- but having a 4stringer kicking about isn't really a bad thing.

Atm i'm thinking i'd just go ahead and trade i mean its a buzzard, i can have it for a bit see what i think of it then sell it on, if i'm not happy with it.

How easy do you think selling a Buzzard BO compared to a thumb be? - I was going to sell my thumb (as i don't play it and add the funds to a GAS relief/hellborg pre fund) but trades like these are pretty rare and the rep the buzzard has around here really sparked me to seriously consider a trade. Now i'd happily trade for another more commonly found warwick, as selling is going to be relatively simple, but a buzzard esp. a BO is a kinda different animal discontinued, and not really a true NT one, finding them is rare and finding a buyer might be rarer.

So thats the cons, the Pros are its a

MOTHERF'CKING BUZZARD AND THEY'RE BADASS!

So opinions?

Reaction score
honestly, just the fact that you dont see many buzzards laying around is a definite plus! you might also want to consider the type of music you play, buzzards are like precision basses on steroids with two p-style pickups. if you're doing metal i would stick to the thumb but if indy and mellow music is what you're into then by all means take the buzz.
p.s. ( i personally like 5 stringers but 4 stringers are pretty sexy too)

Reaction score
I think it's worth a shot.But I dont think selling a Buzzard is going to be as straight forward as selling another bass.The majority of players out there wouldnt even consider buying one,so be carefull Callum.

Reaction score
i know my first impression would be like, holy ♣♣♣♣, a buzzard!!! but are you sure you wont miss that B string? i would, i have a 4 string corvette and a i hate not having it. Granted i have a 6 string cheapo bass for my b string fix, it sucks and sounds like a $300 six string bass should. idk, i think thats truly what it would come down to, GAS for buzzard vs. B string? sort of a goofy comparison but how bad will you miss 5 strings? do u have other 5 strings?

Reaction score
Angrychair, I've got a 5 string FNA, so i'm covered in that department. I wouldn't conciser letting my only 5er go. That said i've never really had any GAS for a buzzard and this trade is more 'out of curiosity' than anything thus the re-sale bit.

I think it's worth a shot.But I dont think selling a Buzzard is going to be as straight forward as selling another bass.The majority of players out there wouldnt even consider buying one,so be carefull Callum.

This is my biggest sticking point. And its getting even bigger as I can find literally no info on buzzard BO prices or anyone else selling. + i've never really played one I just got suckered by the pics really!

I wouldn't mind having something more grindy, pbass-ish, but I can cover my back with my FNA and $$.

I'll keep up the re-search on re-sale, but i'm not wanting to grab an unusual bass on a whim that i'm then stuck with! It might be better to play it safe on this one, but ofc more opinions are welcome!

Reaction score
I would go for it, man, Buzzards are cooooooool

EDIT: Having looked at the buzzard again on the website, i would definately go for it. In fact, if it was me i wouldn't even have asked for advice i just wudda said 'yes' lol

Reaction score
Man, It's a buzzard!!!!!

Very versatile bass on paper (never tried one). I'm sure you'll love it! And the resale value is wayyyyyy more than a thumb BO, might take longer to trade, but thumb BO 5 are selling 850-1050 US dollards while you can easily get 1400 USD out of the buzzard.

Reaction score
Cheers for the input, I've not heard back from the guy yet, and i'm not gonna make any final decisions on it until i've seen the bass and had a little play on it. The worst case is I go try and not like it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
better brush up on your entwistle licks before hand ;D

by the way, do you guys think JE suffered from GAS??????

john-entwistle-a.jpg

Reaction score
Funny thing is i've never really been a fan of The Who :eek: .....(runs and hides)

Reaction score
JE had GAS for basses,medevil armour & weapons as well as cars,but never drove.I dont think he even had a driver's licence.He prefered to drink,rather than drive.

Reaction score
JE had GAS for basses,medevil armour & weapons as well as cars,but never drove.I dont think he even had a driver's licence.He prefered to drink,rather than drive.

Correct you are, sir! And they said Top Gear wasn't educational :d

Reaction score
I, personally, am on of those people who would never buy a Buzzard. I just can't get over how hideous they are....

Reaction score
Oh god a year ago I was the same....now look at me ;) give it time guys, everyone i think begins to like the buzzard at some point.....

Reaction score
Oh god a year ago I was the same....now look at me ;) give it time guys, everyone i think begins to like the buzzard at some point.....

Same here too.....and with the Stryker....man i want a Stryker right now

Reaction score
I sold my Thumb 6 BO for a Buzzard BO 4. I already got a Thumb NT 5 so not big deal....

They are very different bass, but you may easy get a used Thumb BO 5 than Buzzard, you may do it for the $, but for music style, you should think carefully.

After Buzzard, the Dolphin is the final bass for my Warwick collection~~:evil:

Reaction score
Well I can say i am the proud owner of a buzzard :d I guess i'm now a "buzzard brother"!

Reaction score
Well I can say i am the proud owner of a buzzard :d I guess i'm now a "buzzard brother"!

WOW! wot do u think of the Buzzard Bolt on man!>!!?? how does it sound? this is a 4 string righT? so it has 2 P style pickups?

Top Bottom