Active vette?

jay

Reaction score
I was considering making my 97 vette active. I am using a DI now though. Do I really need to make it active? I like the tone but it is awful noisy. What are the positive/negatives if I make it active?...

Reaction score
I'm doing something similar mostly as an experiment. Benefits, I'm expecting a more cutting tone, more versatility. I'm not a fan of tone shaping on the amp that I mostly keep flat (I always prefered the tone I get from tweaking my preamps).

Reaction score
IMO, if you have Jazz bass pickups, they have to be active. Passive J's are just too darn noisy. My two cents anyway.

Reaction score
SurrenderMonkey said:
I'm doing something similar mostly as an experiment. Benefits, I'm expecting a more cutting tone, more versatility. I'm not a fan of tone shaping on the amp that I mostly keep flat (I always prefered the tone I get from tweaking my preamps).

same here

jay

Reaction score
So I'll need new PU's and Electronics?...

Reaction score
EVOLVEBASS said:
IMO, if you have Jazz bass pickups, they have to be active. Passive J's are just too darn noisy. My two cents anyway.

Unluckily, once they're actve, they're no more Jazz pickups...

Reaction score
i hate active things .. put on some split coil J pickups: 9CBJD pair - Jazz Bass shape neck (short) and bridge (long) pickups have dual in-line hum cancelling coils.
List Price $ 170

by Bartolini, or you can find Delano's, or others. dual in line, means the single coil bar is broken in two half parts, and there's no hum anymore.

Reaction score
Mr Rabble said:

We've gone through the semantics of this before. It's still appropriate to refer to them as J's.

Reaction score
I have the active J's in 2 Rockbasses, a Fortress 5 and a Corvette Basic, and they're both silent, I've not detected any hum whatsoever. I have the active J and TJ setup in the Dolphin and it's silent as well.

Reaction score
i have pasive pickups in my $$ and active eq, and when my batteries are not new and record something there is the little funny hum :D . i switch to passive and like this i can record for the rest of my life without batteries and without unwanted hums.

i noticed that if the batteries aren't brand new (1 month old) the eq will hum a little (just listen) and in few months will distort (that is normal when batteries are old).

i hate that i can't be sure when the eq starts humming ... then i hate everything active on a guitar :evil:

i feel safe only if i know there is the possibility to go totally passive, and i'll switch the pups on my brand new CS Thumb too, just have to select carefully the pup maker and the pups. :!:

... but it is confortable to have an active eq! not pups!

Reaction score
EVOLVEBASS said:
Mr Rabble said:

We've gone through the semantics of this before. It's still appropriate to refer to them as J's.

I wasn't speaking about the tech terms, just about the sound.
If you replace a passive J with and active J, you have another bass.

By the way, I love passive Jazz pickups, and active EMG-J's too

anghel's solution is a good one: passive hum-cancelling pickups are Jazzier than active ones.
Fralin and Nordstrand makes excellent hum-cancelling J-shaped pickups

Reaction score
If Fender Jazz Pups are anything like the single coils in the Ric (I have never owned a Fender ANYTHING, no plans to) then they buzz like a bee on meth. I've had times where I simply couldn't use that bass for a gig or recording because of the buzz.

Reaction score
Doog, I'll put an end to your suffering.
Just give me your Rick, I'll ask you no money :lol:

Reaction score
Doog said:
If Fender Jazz Pups are anything like the single coils in the Ric (I have never owned a Fender ANYTHING, no plans to) then they buzz like a bee on meth. I've had times where I simply couldn't use that bass for a gig or recording because of the buzz.

put barts on the ric, mate :D

Reaction score
EVOLVEBASS said:
There are both split and stacked pickups in J housing. So active is not the only option.

jay

Reaction score
anghel said:
i hate active things .. put on some split coil J pickups: 9CBJD pair - Jazz Bass shape neck (short) and bridge (long) pickups have dual in-line hum cancelling coils.
List Price $ 170

by Bartolini, or you can find Delano's, or others. dual in line, means the single coil bar is broken in two half parts, and there's no hum anymore.

Just ordered the Bartolinis. Should be here Monday :) ...

Top Bottom