Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

active or passive - how do you tell?!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by the greenman, Jan 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. the greenman

the greenman

I'm new here, & just acquired an RB Corvette, but I cant tell (maybe I havent digged around enough) whether its active or passive? I'm thinking active, on the basis it has a battery compartment & 9v battery, but.. ;) Serial no (if it helps is RB SN M 038889 S 06. No telling letter 'a' there, but..

I'm already drooling about the prospect of a bubinga 'real' model, but this'll doofer now!

all the best, people

2. Fuzzydice45

Fuzzydice45

An active EQ will have a battery and the ability to boost and cut certain frequencies such as bass, treble etc.
    A passive EQ won't have a battery and just has volume controls and a tone coontrol (treble) which you can only cut.

Yours is active :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
  3. the greenman

the greenman

Thanks, Fuzzy! Pretty much what I assumed, but reading some stuff elsewhere caused me a little doubt.. Has anyone customised it with an 'on/off' switch to enable you to cut the 'active' - or does that require different circuitry? Would seem like a good 'mod' to me, enabling extra tonal variety (& faster than pulling the battery out, mid set!)

4. Fuzzydice45

Fuzzydice45

Most active basses don't have that ability, if you take out the battery it simply won't make a sound.
    Although some warwick basses have push/pull volume knobs that can rather run the signal through the EQ (active) or bypass it completely (passive).

That's how I understand it, but as I don't own one I don't know for sure.
    :)

5. the greenman

the greenman

I had a G&L you could do that with, but it was a US model & it had to go in a recent round of 'budget cuts' ;-) .. Who knows, I'll have a play & see what's possible.

6. james brunnning

james brunnning

The pups are different between the active and passive.You can have active pups(need a batt to run)with or with out a preamp.Passive pups with a preamp(then you could bypass the batt to run)or passive all around with no preamp.Mec pups with gold lettering are active and silver lettering passive.