Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

About Custom Changing Streamer Jazzman LX5 Color!!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Gualo, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Gualo

Gualo

Hi there, im relatively new to this forum, but i since i have now 3 warwicks i wanted to learn more about this and i joined the forum, great info tough! =))

Im more a Fender guy, but im learning about the Warwick World...

Well the thing is this, i have a 93 5 string Thumb, a 2012 RB Streamer LX5, and recently i got a 2005 Streamer Jazzman LX5, i like this bass a lot, and i got it as an opportunity in a great price, i like the feel, wich is Finished in Blue Colored Oil.. but im NOT into Blue color....
    i was wondering about changing the color of the bass, i really like Red, Dark red, Brown, even Black more than Blue, so i was thinking about sanding the bass, but i don´t know if, because of the Maple top and the ash could absorve a lot more of the Blue oil, so if i sand the bass the wood will remain stained all over the body... could you help me about what can i do?? im getting used to this bass and i think is easier to modify this rather than sell it and get another one...
    im posting some pictures of my basses, and of the streamer so you can help me with your opinion to make a desicion about the look..
    thanks a lot, and i hope to be learn more about this basses and to get good friends here!!

Salutes from México!!
    Gualo.
    www.myspace.com/gualobass
    www.facebook.com/gualobass

stJ5.jpg stj5-1.jpg Std LX5.jpg Std LX5-4.jpg IMG04455-20120804-1509.jpg IMG04454-20120804-1508.jpg

2. Augie

Augie The Desert Bass-ape

Welcome!

and beware in trying to naturalify a colored oil. plus this one has two different woods, and ash has uneven porosity.....yerg. might be a nightmare. OTOH i know for a fact that a streamer in matte black with gold hardware is seventy three kinds of sexy.....;)

3. StoneAje

StoneAje Warwick Endorser

It's most likely going to be deeper then you would want it to be and a decent pain but with that being said it has been done before. Someone on here sanded down a fortress and it came out great looking IIRC. It was all maple though and I have no idea how ash is when sanded. IMHO the blue looks way too amazing to waste time and effort trying to change it even if it's not your favorite color.

4. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the dorum, Gualo.
    That is a nice Warwick collection for a Fender guy :)

So what I think is this. Every profession in this world, even the simplest one have a lot of secrets. If you were skilled with woodworking, you would not ask us here :)

So I think the best thing would be to do a compromise. Remove the gardware and electronics by yourself, remove the neck, and take the body to a furniture worker :)
    He will probably do a good job, faster and cheaper than you would.

That way it will be helf DIY :)

What do you think?

5. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

Bienvenido al foro, Gualo.

Personaly, I love Ocean Blue finish, so I won´t say "go for it!", I´d leave it as it is.
    But since that is your bass and your money, your best bet is to take the bass to a Pro to get the work done.

Nice colection for a "7ender guy", btw, uncle Leo won´t be happy. ;)

6. shaftbass

shaftbass

Chris
  7. Gualo

Gualo

hey Buenos dias! just getting awake...
    thanks a lot for your answers!! all are great..
    Florin, you´re right, im not that skilled about woodworking, but when i want to do something myself i like to make a research before i screw all.. lol.... its kinda I just Like the feeling when YOU by yourself fix and make all changes in your belonings just to make them better, and also when they look great when you finish.. that´s what im trying to do here... im posting a pic of Two of my fenders, just please watch the custom finish I MYSELF did on them, i really liked how they look, and it was also the same, i begin making a research the best way to make this happen =))

Maybe if i Use BLack Colored oil, the body will not show the blue stain if i remove it.. jeje
    I know, always when you screw things you can get into a good Luthier to fix them, i just want to give it a try to make if my self...

And Shaft311, i just Got mine for about 1400 shipped here to me in mexico, so i think i got it in a good price.. i think yours with shipping to me in Mexico will go waaaaay so expensive for me...

BTW!! if someone have here a used BLACK hardware Set for me (tuners, bridge, knobs) I´ll be glad to buy it!!! let me know!!

well, said that, im posting a pic of me with my fenders.. please don´t bully me =( jejeje
    thanks a lot, here i feel a good vibe around!!

IMG_7111(2)paint.jpg

8. shaftbass

shaftbass

Chris
    Cool pic. I am glad they are 5 strings :)

9. Gualo

Gualo

Im more a 5er, since i learned in a 6string, was the first bass i played.. (i tough bass had 6 strings like a guitar, lol) i Just use 4er when i record in studio, or just when ppl who i work for, ask me to do it =))