A little help on all those tasty Streamers needed

Reaction score
Hi guys (and ladies of course!).
Since several weeks now I`m GAS-ing those tasty Streamers, be it shape or sound. But could you just give me a little help when it comes to the sound? What the differences between the SS I + II and the LX? Okay, LX is bolt-on and has an Ovangkol neck, but how are the differences? I listened to a lot of clips here and on Youtube, but since everyone has different strings, recording setup and (most important) style it is really hard to judge.
At the moment I`m with a Vette $$ 5er, it sounds good, no question, but since we changed style I`m feeling no longer that confortable soundwise. We added a few Reggae- and Funk- parts to a good share of melodic Rock. The "rockier" it gets, the more i like the sound of the $$, all the pressure i get from the lows and low mids, but the more Funk we play it feels "not right". I tried different EQ (on the Bass as well as on my ADA-preamp), played with the coil tap switches and tried several brands of strings, one couls either fix the one or the other.
So, thats the one side of the why, the other is they just look great! ;)

Sorry I have to ask, but there aren`t that many stores around here (the nearest being over 400 km drive) that stock Wicks, and those with the Streamers are really hard to find.

Greets
Martin

Reaction score
Hi guys (and ladies of course!).
Since several weeks now I`m GAS-ing those tasty Streamers, be it shape or sound. But could you just give me a little help when it comes to the sound? What the differences between the SS I + II and the LX? Okay, LX is bolt-on and has an Ovangkol neck, but how are the differences? I listened to a lot of clips here and on Youtube, but since everyone has different strings, recording setup and (most important) style it is really hard to judge.
At the moment I`m with a Vette $$ 5er, it sounds good, no question, but since we changed style I`m feeling no longer that confortable soundwise. We added a few Reggae- and Funk- parts to a good share of melodic Rock. The "rockier" it gets, the more i like the sound of the $$, all the pressure i get from the lows and low mids, but the more Funk we play it feels "not right". I tried different EQ (on the Bass as well as on my ADA-preamp), played with the coil tap switches and tried several brands of strings, one couls either fix the one or the other.
So, thats the one side of the why, the other is they just look great! ;)

Sorry I have to ask, but there aren`t that many stores around here (the nearest being over 400 km drive) that stock Wicks, and those with the Streamers are really hard to find.

Greets
Martin

eichhofener-bier auf der homepage, du musst aus bayern sein :)

i can just tell you something about the ssII, it´s the only streamer i have ever played.
the ssII sounds very aggressive in mids and highs and cuts very well through the mix. as you´re searching for reggae-lows i would say the ssII isn´t the best choice. the lows are brutal, no doubt. but this bass isn´t smooth at all if you ask me. it´s more a growler that wants to be noticed :)

i have heard that the ssI has more lows and a funkier slap-sound. but i never heard it live by myself.

Reaction score
I think your $$ should handle those styles easily. Just try to double single coil mode (switches in the center) and it could soften the agression a bit XD.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrYp8M5BHzI&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjJJ921H88E&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP26HwAD98Q&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
IMO what you need its a little think called: STREAMER STAGE I!:evil:

Reaction score
@Beda: Bayern, des samma mia :twisted:

@flipper_gv: I`ll give it a try the next rehearsal, thanks. I`m just a little bit concerned about differences in volume, but we will see. At the moment I`m playing with both switches up (should be parallel mode????), sometimes I change the neck-pup to sc to brighten things a bit up. PU-balance is always dialed slightly towards the bridge.
Is that you in those vids? Nice groovin`!

@FunkyMan: That`s what I thought... Have to find a dealer where I can testdrive one of them.

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score

Tilt the front PU so that it's rear coil is very
high and front coil is very low. If this takes
the funk tone in the right direction for your
taste, then reverse the wiring from that PU
if you want an even stronger effect, so the
SC mode plays from its rear coil. I find the
tilt alone is enuf effect for me. It's possible
that you don't need a new bass ... which of
course is never a good reason NOT to get a
new bass .... jussayin ....

Shoulda made clear: When you tilt the PU
to emphasise its rear coil, you gotta play it
in parallel or series, not in SC. In SC mode
you're turning OFF its rear coil [unless you
do the rewiring].

Reaction score
Hm... sounds interesting! Could you just give me some hint on tilting the pu? Do you archieve this solemnly by adjusting the pu-screws or do you place some foam e.g. under the pu?

And hey, it`s GAS, did anyone ever see reasonable GAS (except the one you`re in at the moment?)

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score

I use just the screws. The screws are not into
wood underneath. They are machine threaded
and thread into brass inserts underneath. So
don't force them if the screws for the lowering
the front coil stop dead in their tracks, or you
might rip a brass insert outa its wooden hole.

OTOH, don't be fooled by the resistance of the
compressed spring. Push the PU down by hand
and hold it there against the springs while you
easily follow it down with the screw. This way
the screw is not doing the work of lowering the
PU against the spring, and you can feel it very
plainly if the screw has hit its bottom limit.

Another limiting factor is that as the plastic
tunnels for the screws become angled along
with the PU, the angle tries to take the screw
where it doesn't want, or isn't able, to go ...
even tho the screw has not bottomed out. It
gets to be about wiggling, jiggling, maybe
even trimming a bit of plastic from a hole,
and being careful, and not forcing stuff.

Reaction score
Wanted to give you a little feedback: Tilting the pu`s didnt do the trick for me. But going to sc-mode, activating the eq, bringing in the highs and adding a little bit of tube saturation brought tons new good sound to me!

But GAS ain`t over ;) I just developed a formula, but maybe most of you guys already know it: y = x + 1 . y is the optimum number of basses (preferably Warwicks!) to own, wheras x is your current array of basses.

Top Bottom