8 string

Reaction score
hi guys
i am really digging the sound of a 8 string bass. i was woundering if warwick makes any? if so could some one give me some sound clips.
also if they are made could i get a rock bass 8 string ?
thanks

Reaction score
Don't think warwick as a stock bass with 8 strings but you can get one through the CS(not the RB tho).

Reaction score
do ibanez make one (i looked on there web site) there the only other brand i like.
i see esp make one but that gloss neck i find hard to move on coming from a warwick

Curtis

Editor De Bassist magazine (NL)
Reaction score
The new shortscale Hagstrom is quite affordable and a kick ass bass!

I made a thread about 8-string Warwicks in the Custom Shop section some weeks ago. Check that! Entwistle played 8-string Buzzards!

Last hyear Warwick brought out a small series of 8-string Corvettes. Saw one at the Messe. Very, very nice!

And if you don't have the money? EHX microPOG.

Reaction score
do ibanez make one (i looked on there web site) there the only other brand i like.
i see esp make one but that gloss neck i find hard to move on coming from a warwick

What about Schecter? I know they make an 8-string bass you can get through Musician's Friend.

Reaction score
i heard the schecter is total crap from one of my friends at my local GC
im leaning towards (if at all) the esp ltd its $850 aust so its a bit of cash so im really think it over

Reaction score
There's a Guitar Center in Yass Warrick?

Reaction score
i heard the schecter is total crap from one of my friends at my local GC
im leaning towards (if at all) the esp ltd its $850 aust so its a bit of cash so im really think it over

I cant' speak for the 8-string, but their regular 4 and 5s are decent, though for the money I'd pick an Ibanez over a Schecter, personally (but since Ibanez doesn't make an 8 stringer to my knowledge, that's out). There are enough good Mudvayne bass covers on YouTube that are done on Schecter Stiletto Studios to make me think there's something to them though. Plus they have the satin neck finish, which you said you prefer. I dunno, all the guys at the GC near me love 'em. If nothing else GC has a 30-day return policy, so you could theoretically try the cheaper LTD, and if you don't like it, send back and try another.

Reaction score
they said the schecter 8 string was crap not the other schecters just the 8 string.
ive never played one before nor have i seen one in a shop. the GC is not in yass it is in canberra. there isn't one in yass its to much of a hill billy small town. :)

Reaction score
Oh,right.I thought you meant Guitar Centre,like they have in the USA.
The Canberra shop is Rick Faulkiner's Guitar Centre?

Reaction score
hi guys
i am really digging the sound of a 8 string bass. i was woundering if warwick makes any? if so could some one give me some sound clips.
also if they are made could i get a rock bass 8 string ?
thanks

I think the CS would do it for you. they have made a 12 string bass in the past.

Reaction score
or if you feel like building an 8 string bass Warmoth sells the 8 string bass necks now. thinking about doing an 8 string explorer myself...

Curtis

Reaction score
I already enclosed this at teh 8-string thread at the Custom Shop page, but I'll just do it again. JAE on an 8-string Warwick Buzzard:)

[video=youtube;eoq-3kfQ5-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoq-3kfQ5-k[/video]

Reaction score
in tearms of makeing one would it be hard.
would it just be a new bridge and nut ?

JanVanHove

Artist
Reaction score
making one... from a 4-string?

Don't forget that you have to fit four more tuning machines somewhere, that's the main problem...

Curtis

Reaction score
I can imagine 8-string Warwicks have stronger truss rods too?

JanVanHove

Artist
Reaction score
Curtis, the warwick necks and rods are more than stiff enough to survive 8-strings...

Even the 12-string warwicks have single truss rods...

Reaction score
check for string spacing before you buy a bridge. alot of 8 string bridges are wider then a standard neck and you will end up with string hanging over the sides of the neck on a standard neck....

also get the 8 saddle bridge. while you can use a four saddle bridge the intonation will be off on the oct stings from about the 7th fret up.
8 saddle bridge solves this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom