5st Broadneck Vs Normal 5st Pickup Size.

Reaction score
Real Name
Brian
I landed my hands on a custom shop thumb broadneck a few years ago. But I’m really wanting MEC pickups instead of the Bartolini. Would the broadneck 5st have the same pick up size as a standard 5st? Also, depending on this response does anyone want to sell their MEC soapbars lol

BrusselsBass

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Ulrich
Hi @bbennett - what sound are you looking for? And what don't you like about the Barths?
I wouldn't change PUPs in a CS Wick; also I'd say Barths and MEC are not massively different (at least as PJ that I had in 2 different '91 Streamers).
Depending on what's in as preamp now, you could try an Aguilar, Noll, Glockenklang..... Will have more impact on the sound.

Reaction score
Real Name
Brian
I like the more natural mid and airy tone from the MEC. The barts aren’t terrible just isn’t that “Warwick” sound you would expect. I’ll probably swap out the pre for EMG that I have but I would still love the MEC

Hardy

Supporting Member
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I don´t think they have a different size. I checked the Warwick shop, only the 6 string broadneck MEC pus seem to have a different size.

Reaction score
Real Name
Brian
I don´t think they have a different size. I checked the Warwick shop, only the 6 string broadneck MEC pus seem to have a different size.

that’s reassuring. Now I just gotta find someone who is selling a set. I couldn’t find them anywhere

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Hello,
They are different size, you might want to get 6-strings pickups for your broadneck 5 (that's how they started it, putting a 5er on a sixer neck/body).
You won't be able to swap them neither, except if you're looking for passive MEC (Silver line), or if you change the Volume pot, too.

To each his own, for me Bartolini's are really "the One" for the Thumb, that already has a lot of mids. ABrts give them the right beef. . But, again, to each his own.
I tend to dislike the MEC preamp, you might want to check the frequencies they boost/cut, and compare them to the EMG you have on hand. If they're too close, you won't hear much difference.

My (unasked for) advice would be to try the DarkGlass Tone Capsule preamp for the Thumb, with barts. Their frequency choices are very relevant to the low mids/ hi mids you want to control.
Or try a 3-Band preamp, that might work too.

Top Bottom