5 Strings Setup For Slap Happy Guy :)

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Soo, I play 5 stringers only, but I am nostalgic for 4 strings basses.
I like big spacing, but broadneck warwicks are too much to handle for me.
I also noticed I don't use BEA strings equally as DG. I use BEA for grooving, and DG for... you know... additional stuff :)
So I moved the E and A strings as xlose as possible to B string.
Now I feel BEA strings close as I like them for grooving. I play my bass fairly low, so playing octaves from low D is not that easy. Now it is :)
I also have good spacing between ADG strings, actually I have 4 strings spacing - 19mm, so I feel like playing a chunkier 4 strings when slapping.
I am happy witg this setup, so I wanted to share :)
IMG_2489.JPG

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Well, that's... different :) I guess that as long as you are comfy, it's a good setup. I'm pretty sure my fingers would be lost with this, but I'm a newbie in 5 strings, only play it since a year or so, and I still anchor my thumb on whatever strings is 'above' the string I play.
So, you're playing more "horizontally", than vertically ?

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I dunno, depends on the position I guess. But I don't really consider the B string as an equal string to tge others, I see my bass as a 4 stringer, witg the option to play a low D or C from time to time.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Well I went for a 5er because we downtuned three songs with my band, and I've sticked with it ever since.
Anyway, so it doesn't feel weird to jump two more millimeters when you go on the treble side ?
Although, it can help to "feel" the strings and know where your fingers are. On my Squier V, the A string was buzzing so I added a small paper under the nut, and the string was raised a bit, and it helped me figure out where I was by feeling this "higher" point. Might be the same here, you feel a gap and you know where you are.
Good Idea, master Florin.

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Very cool, Flo. I'm strictly a 4 string guy, but I never thought about having different spacings, on the same bass. Mind blown.

And is that the one of first 5 string Streamers eva?

Florin

OG
Reaction score
It feels pretty naturally actually :) with tge regular setup playing on low positions was a bit tricky, and for slapping the spacing was too narrow. Now it feels just right. Maybe it worth a try, it is 100% reversible mod :)

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Very cool, Flo. I'm strictly a 4 string guy, but I never thought about having different spacings, on the same bass. Mind blown.

And is that the one of first 5 string Streamers eva?

Yup, no 003

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
If it works for you, do it!.
The Warwick bridge allows it, not many others do.

I guess you slap it like flea does. Hard and with an angle rather then like Vic Wooten - thumb aligned with the string and doublethumbing.

I prefer flea's approach. Sounds better and you don't need a silly looking bass that is right under your chin.

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Indeed, very cool, you can't custom set-up a bridge like that in most basses.

Top Bottom