Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

1998 Corvette Standard 4, Just A Nut Fell Off

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by TomBow, Sep 18, 2019.

1. TomBow

TomBow

1998 Corvette Standard Back.jpg 1998 Corvette Standard Front.jpg
    1998 Corvette Standard 4, Passive.
    Just picked this up for a steal of a deal, discovered that the JAN was not attached, 4 strings off equals Nut on the floor. Solutions? It seems odd to me, the top portion of the nut was resting on a flat piece which had no attachments. Is this the "tabs fell off" story I've read about?
    BUT, WOW! The resonance of this bass is amazing, learning tunes at low volumes while wearing headphones, with the amp up just enough to get some sound to match the earbuds, it is tough to tell if the amp is running at all. The bass just rings with tone, almost don't need the amp. LOVE THIS BASS. I have a R.Trujillo streamer and the difference in resonance is astounding.
    Cheers.

2. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

Tiny drop of glue. Or not take off all strings at once but replace them one by one. Loose nut is no problem.

ectoflanger, Hector and Hardy like this.
  3. Hector

Hector Moderator Staff Member

Like DiMarco says, a tiny drop (really tiny) of super glue will sort you out.

4. Hoggles

Hoggles Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Sounds like he's talking about the JANII tabs fell off, not the base of it coming off from the headstock. In that case, you don't want to use any glue. If he puts glue between the two pieces, he won't be able to adjust it. Just gotta deal with it, or get a JANIII. And as Marco mentioned, if you don't want the top piece falling off, just leave at least one string on when changing.

Glad you're stoked on the Vette, Tom!

5. TomBow

TomBow

Yes, the JAN II fell off the bass. The tabs are gone. I amazed that the JAN II is basically plastic. Without the tabs, the adjustable top section is floating with only the strings to hold it on. Here in the US, the JAN III is $130-140. With the JAN III, how is the top piece held on? It looks like it's also floating (not attached).

6. verb

verb Good Vibe Sponsor

The lower section has two pins which locate in holes in the top section.
    The strings actually hold the top section on.

7. TomBow

TomBow

Interesting. Time to start saving me money, eh? Me Sweetums needs a new nut but at least I can play her in the meantime until I can gather the necessary coins. Thanks to you all for your replies and comraderie.
    Again, when I play this bass it just feels good, I can feel my soul vibrate through this instrument. When I first played one, many moons ago, many tricklings of water under the bridge ago, I said to myself, I need this (Warwick) bass. Then I spent YEARS playing a good sounding but much less expensive instrument. It served me well. My journey into the kingdom of Warwick has been a struggle, wading through W-named but dissatisfying basses to this which soothes the savage in my soul.

8. golem

golem Philosopher King

`

Once upon a bad time, I took all
    the strings off my doghouse. No
    one ever warned me ! Having to
    bend down and pick your JAN
    up off the floor is no problem ;-)