1985 Jd Thumb Revisions And Comparisons

Hoggles

Supporting Member
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
surely someone at Warwick would help with something like that? It’s hardly going to hurt sales if the old ones are mythologised a bit... works ok for fender!

For sure! I'll definitely send HP a quick message about specific, historical info on the oldies at HQ...and what are the earliest ones that HP still has. Maybe try to convince him to snap some Pro detailed pics...like he does with Custom Shop basses today. If I'm not mistaken, they do a detailed photo shoot of each CS bass these days; as part of the experience for the buyer. Why not just throw those early historical examples to the photographer and say, have at it! :)

We've seen some very low numbers out in the wild in the last few years.

-Nobby #15 '83 (fretless), just sold out of Sheffield a few months back.

Streamer #4 (I think) paddlehead, showed up for sale on the Heads Up thread, maybe 1.5 years ago. It even had the unique inlay on the headstock. Some sort of fancy design, that I thought was a custom mod. Turns out, I think it was indeed original, as I recall seeing the same engraving/inlay in a vid or pic in Warwick HQ. There it was. Mind blown. Haha.

Thumb #3 fretless (page #2 of this thread) was for sale in the States last year (Nashville). The olnly Thumb other than the original advert Thumbs, to have straight tuners (that I know of). Pretty cool.

I mention these, because I'm curious if HP made it a point to keep #1 of each model, or did he sell them?

Anybody know if a #1 from the 80's (or anytime) has ever been seen in the wild?

Florin

Warwick Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
HP keeps No 1 and 2 of each model. 003 is the first bass you can actually buy from each model or LTD edition.
Each CS Warwick is built 2 times, to chose the best one for the customer!!!! Nicest ones are there. What is on the wall there are a small part of the huge Warwick showroom, they have hundreds of basses and guitars there.
The only bass in HP house is No1 Nobby Meidel.
On the walls are - among others - 5 years Annyversary Streamer (a couple of them IIRC), some basses used to belong to John Entwistle (Buzzards), some really old Thumb bass prototypes, an awesome 10 strings SSI - maple top swamp ash back, Streamette.
And there is the warehouse, where I-ve seen a Fender- clone Warwick, TV was called IIRC, and some old, old warwicks never sold, some with no electronics and hardware, some interesting and weird prototypes.
I have some pics somewhere :)

Hoggles

Supporting Member
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Wow, Flo! Thanks for the insight!! SO cool!

Yeah, the TV bass (Fender stlye) as a lot of us know, is the very first bass to have the Warwick logo on it. Very rare and one that showed up at one of our members guitar shop just a few years back. I still don't know what happened to that one? Anyone?

I'd love to see HP's Nobby #1. We seriously need to convince him to do detailed photo shoots with all the #1's from the 80's...at the very least. That would be amazing! That goes for all the early #1's at HQ.

I always forget that the first Buzzard was made in '85, if I recall. That is one model that needs some more early info/insight to.

And those Thumb prototypes. Yes, please.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The bit of me that like historical stuff would love to work through the “history of Warwick” stuff - I wonder how much of the written records are still stashed somewhere in some files someplace. I have camera... can travel... :D

Though making two of every CS bass is just mental!

Hoggles

Supporting Member
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
HP keeps No 1 and 2 of each model. 003 is the first bass you can actually buy from each model or LTD edition.
Each CS Warwick is built 2 times, to chose the best one for the customer!!!! Nicest ones are there. What is on the wall there are a small part of the huge Warwick showroom, they have hundreds of basses and guitars there.
The only bass in HP house is No1 Nobby Meidel.
On the walls are - among others - 5 years Annyversary Streamer (a couple of them IIRC), some basses used to belong to John Entwistle (Buzzards), some really old Thumb bass prototypes, an awesome 10 strings SSI - maple top swamp ash back, Streamette.
And there is the warehouse, where I-ve seen a Fender- clone Warwick, TV was called IIRC, and some old, old warwicks never sold, some with no electronics and hardware, some interesting and weird prototypes.
I have some pics somewhere :)

Floooooooo

A little out of left field here, but if you find the time...I know I'd LOVE to see some of those pics you have from your time spent in the Mothership.

Last edited:

StreamerII84

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
Real Name
Alex
Man I'm loving this thread!
Does anybody know what happened to john Davis?

Hoggles

Supporting Member
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Man I'm loving this thread!
Does anybody know what happened to john Davis?

Thanks! Glad you're diggin' it! JD is still performing. Mainly singing it seems. Doing Milli Vanilli shows with Fab. At least up until last year he was.

Last edited:

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
He did it , til he passed away these days due to Cov19 according to his daughter.

If you have a look at his Facebook page, he actually found this thread from you, linked it and made statement on the 13th of April 2021.
" Der Warwick jd thumb bass kommt von mir und von hans peter wilfert bekomm ich kein geld und er ist ein betruger. Der plan war gemeinsam patent. Ich hab den bass auf vielen messen gespielt. Ich bin nicht sauer auf hans peter aber so entstehen betrüger millivanilli."

It is not the best german he writes, but i will try to translate it into english:
"The Warwick JD thumb is from me and from Hans Peter Wilfert I don't get money, he is a cheater. The plan was to do a shared patent. I have played this bass on many fairs. I am not angry of Hans Peter, but like this way cheater like MilliVanilli arise."

Looking at the pic, i really doubt, HPW did the design by himself alone.
warwick_jd_thumb_text_155-jpg.16615

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
So both the Streamer and Thumb are 'borrowed' designs? Much wow.
Great basses tho!

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
So both the Streamer and Thumb are 'borrowed' designs? Much wow.
Great basses tho!
What we can say for sure is that John Davis and HPW promoted the Thumb together. HPW statement, he designed the bass alone is word against word to JD.
Maybe the truth is in the middle. As indicated by this old advertisment, where is written in german that JD took part in the design also. "mitentwickelt" has exactly this meaning.
This would explain also that every Thumb that went out of the factory was named "JD Thumb".

But who did the most of the design is hard to say after all these years.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Well we know for a fact JD hasn't always been 100% honest about things. So there you go... :D
The downside of not being honest from time to time is nobody takes your word for anything anymore.

BrusselsBass

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Ulrich
Well we know for a fact JD hasn't always been 100% honest about things. So there you go... :D
The downside of not being honest from time to time is nobody takes your word for anything anymore.
We don't know how much JD was receiving (or asking) for his input on the design, but that's probably why the thumb was further developed with Jack Bruce and JD was taken off the trussrod cover.

Hoggles

Supporting Member
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Whatever the real story may be with the history of JD and his sig Thumb…what was produced; was an absolute handmade work of art. Something unbelievably special every time I pick up #125. Loveliest Bass I’ve ever held in my hands or seen with thine eyes :)

Very sad to hear he passed from Covid on Monday. RIP JD… thanks for the good times.

Real Milli Vanilli Singer John Davis Dead At Age 66

Top Bottom