=The Warwick Thumb Club=

lasteffect

Forum Nudist
Reaction score
Just traded my LX4 for a broad neck BO5 Thumb.
I was quite surprised no to see at least another one showing it's wideness in the club.
Are they that rare ?

Here is mine :

You're never going to stop selling, buying, and/or trading til you've owned one of ever Warwick, huh?

Reaction score
I'm just trying to find the basses that suit me the best, as everyone does, but with care and never neglecting any brand or any type of bass.
I've had 70 basses (18 of them being Warwick instruments) and for the moment, I've kept a CS Peavey Cirrus 5 (absolute best of them all), a highly modded Fender P-Bass (DiMarzio P+J, Tonestyler...), another weird fretless Fender JP90 (for the mwaaah factor) and a japan-made P-Bass copy from 79 (for the dirtiest gigs !).

This new to me BO5 is about to pass her exam at home, and then, she'll go... or stay some more time !

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hello and Help

Hi all, just joined... just got a Thumb 5 BO serial E-000064-93: is this really a 1993 model ? Also; was told it's a Walnut body... can anyone tell from the pix/serial number?

Many thanks

Morgoth

Sir Paul of Thumbalot
Reaction score
If it's a model from 93 : Walnut Body / Wengé Neck / Wengé Fretboard / MEC Jazz PUs / MEC 2-Ways Preamp / JAN1 Nut (Brass)...

Did you buy it from an Englishman? :)

Reaction score
Hi there, thanks for getting back to me.. yes I did... now residing in windy Scotland. In love with the sound... best savoured whilst relaxing with a bottle of Côtes du Rhône.

Ta

Andy

Reaction score
93, should be walnut although this reddish tint looks more like bubinga to me (bubinga Thumb BOs used to be produced between 95 and 97). Serial is definately indicating 93 production for the neck but it could be younger than the body.

Maybe if you post some more pics showing front and back in natural light, we will id this wood better.

Here's a pic of my ex bubinga Thumb BO5 (from 1995) witch looks very much like yours :

Reaction score
More pix and thanks

Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome... couple more daylight pix... as you can see it's very brown, no real red hue at all.

Andy

Reaction score
Yes, considering these new pics, it's clearly a walnut body. Pretty rare beast you have here !

Reaction score
Thanks all... I used to (20+ years) own a fretless 4 string Fortress which has always stuck in my mind... last May I was on tour around Landshut in Bavaria and the support band bassist had a Corvette which nudged me again... swapped this blind for a US '57 reissue P Bass and am over the moon; apart from the tone what sets this bass apart is how adjustable it is, especially the brass 'just-a-nut' which my Fortress also had.
Last question... balance wise the bass seems to favour being used with a narrowish webbed strap (Levis)... any thoughts on if the Warwick branded strap would be any any better

Andy

Reaction score
I will post more pics the weekend when I can put in natural light. These pics don't do justice!! I was also thinking about switching to the 3 band eq. Anyone made that change on a older thumb and if so, is there a big tonal difference in having the mid control?

Reaction score
awesome thumb (i like old thumb), what makes switch ? It has LEDs?

Reaction score
Does anyone know where you can get a Battery Compartment lid without buying the whole compartment from the store? It's for a '90 NT 5

Ta

Andy

Reaction score
Sweet 91 thumb! I like the neck, what's the lighter wood on layers 1 and 7? Zebrano or a lighter wenge?

Reaction score
Nice Thumb.
The neck's wenge & bubinga.The lighter pieces are wenge, just slightly lighter in colour.
The top strap pin looks like it's been relocated too. They normally come directly out of the top horn.

Top Bottom