93 Dolphin, Oh Crap Yeah It's That Guy Again

Reaction score
I have had a 93 dolphin since 97. It was on the shelf at music store in Nashville TN from probably the time it came into the US at Namm or the store ordered it. I seen it around 94 and kinda eyed it from afar for a few years until I had the money to get it. I guess fate had been decided because when I called from a few hours away back in 97 it was still there and I had them put my name on it till I could get there. Yeah that used to be a thing. I have had it ever since. It has served me well. I would go as far to say I love this piece of wood. I may choose for it to be buried with me. Unless cremation. In this case I will hope it eventually goes to someone would play it instead. lol I digress.
So somewhere in the time-frame of 08-09 I being new in the field of electricity and automation and having a bass that was scratchy when I turned the knobs I thought, heck I will take into work and clean the pots like a read on the internet. So I did. When I did this I decided some of the wiring was in need of a little re-solder. It probably did not. Oh, fuzzily, I remember the jack needing to be replaced. Well at this point I wasn't the best at this and looking back did everything in the wrong order. And I damaged some insulation putting the jack in and decided to put some heat shrink on it. Well I had just soaked the bass and electronics with contact cleaner. There were some towels laying on the tool box to protect the bass and they were soaked. In comes me with some heat shrink, and a flame.

Older me can chuckle profusely at the younger me memory of an instant 10 foot flame of orange and blue igniting from the control cavity of of my upside down Dolphin instantly engulfing the rags and towels. Oh younger me freaked the out so hard, he didn't even know how to put it out in the moment. Still to this day I thank the man who came to my aid and extinguished the blaze. He was not then but is not a long friend and a very cool mother fer. He told me to get back and he took a mat I was standing on and laid it on top of my bass and put it out. Calm, collected, he asked me if I was okay. Another witness who was somewhat in charge on the night shift asked what happened and made sure everything was cool. Nothing else was said. Modern day me would have lost his job, also fair to say modern day me would not put himself in this dumb ass position. Young me had no clue how dumb and lucky he was. For the moment he was in anyway. And that is just talking about the doing dumb shit at work off the clock when he should go the #$%^ home. Young me was smart enough to pack up and call it a day though. Damage would have to be assessed later.

TL:DR
I caught my bass on fire 10 years ago. I replaced the internal pots or potentiometers and cobbled together a wiring schematic from pictures and a old diagram I found. I didn't completely understand the diagram at the time and still the way I read diagrams is not right on this diagram or better to the point I cannot read it properly. So I made my own crude ones from what I had. I have all this documented here on the Warwick forums
here
93 dolphin pro 1, wiring diagram needed
and here
93 Warwick Dolphin Pro 1 wiring

So I have been at this a while. Back then there was no unoffical support forum. So bugged Mr. Wilfer and anyone else who would give me the time of day. The owner is a complete awesome guy and has helped me and responded to emails. Others in Warwick have responded in the past when I needed parts to fix this and other parts. Even had some really nice inlay knobs brought to the states for me to save on time and shipping when someone was coming over from Germany. So I thank them for the help then. They really are the best.

What brings me here now is as my bass is in the shop for normal maintenance. I am wondering if I actually got the wiring right. I still play mainly in passive mode. I usually run the pickups split with the double jazz pulled into single. So the first knob Volume pickup selector works as intended. The thing is I don't think my second knob. works as its supposed to. And I am more than 100% sure it is my fault.

I guess what I am here asking now if anyone can help me verify what I have done and if not can you see from my previous posts what I did wrong. I am pretty proficient now to be able to complete this myself. If I can get the right info to do it or get my head wrapped around it to read it properly.

Thanks and sorry for not being able to avoid TLDR to have any content.

Top Bottom