Spectradrive Or Microbass 3

Reaction score
To those who feel the resonance in their bones and like it:
Question: See the title......
Would you pay $200 US for the Spec or $400 US for the EBS MB 3?
I am looking to use as a pre, have compression, use for recording, not a big need for distortion, drive, maybe just a touch but looking for rich sound, so...............What do YOU say?

Thanks

Reaction score
Oh DiMi, why you have to complicato de la situationato. Yes I am NOT multilingual, just a bad bastardization of numerous earth languages, all at the same time.
OK. So I finally re reviewed and your suggestion is a good one. I think the Trace looks like the one to suit my needs and a little more functional for my needs. Thanks for the suggestions.
Cheers. Hopefully things are muy bueno for you during these troubled earth times or at least the chaos hasn't retardizated your grip on reality.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input stoop. My take, based only on tones presented in YouTube videos, not on actual face to face with the EHX, I wasn't excited by the tones presented there. The TE Transit B seems to be the one I would be most satisfied with. I usually have good luck with items I am interested in if I read enough reviews and guage my purchase or not purchase on actual user reviews. More research to do but TE is top of the list right now.
Again, Thanks and Best of luck to you and yours. Stay healthy. Peace my brother.

Reaction score
Yeah Trace Elliot makes top notch gear. You pay for it but they are good.

I don't really think the online samples I heard do the Battalion justice; I have one and it is actually a nice sounding little preamp, though it shines more for some harder styles than it would for more classic tones. Its drive is straight up distortion and not a classic overdrive per se, the compressor on it is not subtle either. That said the EQ is clean and sounds great to me. I also love the versatility of the three-way EQ toggle that places the distortion pre- or post-EQ, or only EQs the dry signal.

FWIW since you were looking at the SpectraDrive I think it also sounds very neutral and clean. I am not the hugest fan of digital overdrives and distortions myself though, so I am not super optimistic about the SpectraDrive's drive section. Its compressor should be fine though, basically a SpectraComp with multiple toneprints.

However - I have had real mixed luck myself with TC quality. I have a great TC Octaver that I love (the Nether, basically a nice growly OC-2 clone) but I had to RMA the amp I bought from them as it was defective on arrival.

Good luck if you go with the TE, looks like a nice piece of gear.

Reaction score
Well, I am going to find out exactly how I feel about the Trace. Ordered one last night with a midi-controller keyboard from Sweetwater. Almost went with an HX Stomp but held off for now. I will need something for multi effects in the future and had also stared at the Boss B3n for a few weeks but wasn't quite sure about it. The build seems a little outdated with the display format.
Hope all ya'll are staying healthy. F the F in virus.

Reaction score
Awesome!

For the multistomp you mean the Zoom B3n? I actually owned one myself and it's great. For the price it can't be beat in terms of quality and versatility. It's a nice effects unit. If you want to try a cheaper version, the B1four is good too, with a somewhat more limited user interface than the B3n. I would still own my B3n now if I hadn't decided to go with a "real" pedalboard. The Zoom units are fantastic ways to try out a ton of effects on the cheap, and they are good enough to play live or record for many of the effects.

For a multi-effects processor your real choices in that price range are the B3n or a Boss GT-1B, after that it's stepping up in price to a Helix (which many swear by). You wouldn't go wrong with the Zoom.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Nice going.

Multifx with three external loops = Boss MS-3.

It has 111 built-in effects, a number of those dedicated for bass. I got one and it is really good!
Even the built-in bass dirtboxes are nice. I started missing my "special" bass effects like the Tech21 YYZ and Pigtronix Bass Envelope Phaser though.
This is the part where it becomes great to have three external fx loops. You can incorporate your best pedals in your MS-3 presets. Iluvit.

Reaction score
Ah DiMarco, the Central Complicator! (ref: FZappa central scrutinizer)!;) Seriously though, I appreciate your knowledge and suggestions.
Stoop: Yes, I did mean the Zoom B3N. I haven't been an effects guy live but my plans with recording will include effects so I am researching that thoroughly. What I am looking for is something that will add effects colors to cover bass, guitar and sounds via the midi keyboard. My current effects on hand are a Boss SD-1, Alesis Midiverb II, and Alesis Limiter, Al-Gate,Al-Enhancer so I have a few limitations. I used these when recording on the old Portastudio (tapey tape) back when dino's roamed the earth but never used the Alesis units to their full potential. Just to clean up a few things and add some weirdness.
I am but a noob in the woods, a mere apprentice looking to glean from the masters. Kung Fu style BYaatch. and then teach myself by getting in there and doing it.

Thanks again you Sensai's out there.

Reaction score
Nice going.

Multifx with three external loops = Boss MS-3.

It has 111 built-in effects, a number of those dedicated for bass. I got one and it is really good!
Even the built-in bass dirtboxes are nice. I started missing my "special" bass effects like the Tech21 YYZ and Pigtronix Bass Envelope Phaser though.
This is the part where it becomes great to have three external fx loops. You can incorporate your best pedals in your MS-3 presets. Iluvit.

MS-3 looks super nice! It's up there in the next price tier with the Helix so it has some serious competition there but yeah, definitely looks like a step up from the GT-1B or B3n.

Still, for the price, the B3n is pretty hard to beat, especially for exploring different types of effects.

Reaction score
Aaarrrgggghhhhh! I gots me a DISEASE! (no, not THAT one). OK so Swwtr couldn't ship the Trace Elliot right away.......so then I got Wishy..........then...I got washy.......then I was all wishy-washy, cancelled the Trace and ordered the B3n instead so I could explore it thorougly. Damn me and my fickle brain. But I discovered I will have 3 more weeks at home to practice, learn the B3N once it arrives, pick a durn DAW already , etc.
HOPE YOU ARE ALL DOING WELL WORLDWIDE, sincerely. Stay Well. Enjoy the lower frequencies. I know you do.:rolleyes:;)

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
LOL! In the meantime I did this. And its about to be changed again later this week. I was abx testing my three dirtboxes here.YYZ and Royal Jelly will stay (the latter has 4 tasts of dirt). TE Transit B will likely replace the EQ and comp again.

20200407_181628.jpg

Reaction score
Experimentation Station. If you don't try, how will you know if it works or not?

Top Bottom