Jack Bruce Signature Thumb Model History

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Here is the known list of Jack Bruce Signature Thumb's I could find. These are all of the "official" models, that have their own inlay or placard, that (as far as I can tell) were available to the public. There is one exception and that would be the special 2012 build. I'll get to that a little later.

I've asked HP to give me feedback if this list is incorrect or incomplete in any way (just waiting to hear back). I'm mostly perplexed by one thing...and that is under "Model History" on the Warwick website, they list the first Jack Bruce Sig being made in 1988. As far as I know, this is incorrect. Or at least it was never available to the public. Maybe it was only available to Jack. Again, I've asked HP and we'll see if he remembers :)

Official JB Thumb Sig Models:

1990: Bubinga/Wenge fretless (peace sign)
1991: Lacewood/Wenge fretted (peace sign)
1992: Bubinga/Wenge fretted (peace sign)
2002: Bubinga/Ovangkol fr/fl
2004: Bubinga/Ovangkol fr/fl
2007: Bubinga/Ovangkol fr/fl
2010: Bubinga/Ovangkol fr (not sure about fretless)
2012: Brazilian Rosewood (body and board)/Wenge-Bubinga fretless (3 in existence)

All have LED's

According to this article https://www.guitarplayer.com/guitaraficionado/the-find-warwick-jack-bruce-signature-bass the 2012 was a special build of 3. One went to Jack, one is at Warwick HQ or Framus museum and one went to a collector in the States. Looks like that person paid 55k for it.

There is a possibility that the 2010 was just a special order, as I've only seen one example, though it does have "Signature Series" laser etched on the headstock...and a cool JB trussrod cover...so, I'm not sure, seems like there would be more than one.

If anyone has anything to add, or wants to post their JB Sig Thumbs.... Please do! :)

A couple of notable pics...

The amazing 1991 Lacewood model:
Jack Bruce Signature Lacewood 1991.JPG

Jack Bruce Signature Lacewood 1991 3.JPG

The Brazilian Rosewood 2012 model (wish there was a better pic):
Jack Bruce Warwick Thumb 2012 Brazilian Rosewood Bubinga Wenge Frettles.jpg

This thread is a work in progress :cool::D

Mig

Reaction score
Hi all !
I'm new of this forum ... for soon having again a warwick bass ...

First, thx for this topic ! very interesting !

I have a question about it : I've seen an offer about a Thumb 4 fretless edition Jack Bruce - 1991 for 3250€
Difficult to find any help about a good evaluation of the prize ... so what do you think about it ?

See you,
Mig

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Only '91's I know of are fretted and Lacewood, like the one pictured above. If you have the cash and want a piece of Warwick history...it's a very fair price. When comparing to other brands that command big bucks....I'd say that price is a steal. A 70's Fender, or countless other basses that sell for 3k+.... I'd take the JB sig everytime ;)

*Edit: I think I see the one you're talking about on Reverb. Out of the Netherlands. Even though the title says '91...that's a '90. Check out the pic of the inlay. If that is the one you're talking about of course. If not, please post a pic. Looks to be great shape though. Fair price to me.

Last edited:

Mig

Reaction score
Thx Hoggles for your answer ... I thought the same about 1991 or 1990.

Yes, that's the announce I've seen on Reverb's site from ...
I think I'll take my decision soon ;)

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi guys, when I see the first post, I feel desapointed. I am about to buy one JB, supposedly from 91 but it is bubinga. I share some pics. View attachment 22089 View attachment 22090 View attachment 22091

That's Lacewood. Looks like the one that's been selling out of Russia for a few years.

Zoom in on the pic where fretboard meets the body. You can clearly see the Lacewood grain. It's just cut in a way that doesn't show off the grain like the other example at the top of the page.

No doubt this has fooled people for a while thinking that it's Bubinga...but you're getting a very special Thumb, in addition to it being a JB Sig :)

Congrats and post some detailed pics when you get it! :)

Reaction score
That's Lacewood. Looks like the one that's been selling out of Russia for a few years.

Zoom in on the pic where fretboard meets the body. You can clearly see the Lacewood grain. It's just cut in a way that doesn't show off the grain like the other example at the top of the page.

No doubt this has fooled people for a while thinking that it's Bubinga...but you're getting a very special Thumb, in addition to it being a JB Sig :)

Congrats and post some detailed pics when you get it! :)

Oh thanks thanks thanks...yes looks like bubinga and made it suspecious....I start the procedure, I have confidence on the seller, I already ordered my $$ nt bubinga from him.

Reaction score
Go for it, I am not ready financially right now, it's a dream bass.

Top Bottom