Oh So Cute Cabs.....

Reaction score
I be of the desire to make big noises with smaller and smaller cabs. I currently am possessing a 4X10, a 2X12 and a 2X10. The 4X10 and the 2X12 are likely to get the boot outta here soon so I am looking at much smaller, lightweight cabs. I am an electric 4string player. What is your favorite 1X12 cab? I have looked at the FearFuls but don't know if I want to plunk down $1000+ dollarays on a cabinet. There's a Hartke HyDrive 112 sitting in the one and only local guitar shop here in town. What do you think of this cab or what experiences can you share with me about 1X12's that you have used?
Thanks my cheeky monkeys!!

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
The Hydrive 112 has dual voice coils. This means you can use it at either 4 or 8 ohms mode, which is handy if your amp is rated 250-500 watts @ 4 ohm.
From what I have heard though, it isn't capable of going incredibly loud and the speaker does not have very high efficiency (amount of decibels per watt)

It does sound very nice and direct yet warm though. Weighs around 34lb.
So big noise? I'm afraid not. For this you need a higher efficiency speaker with big max excursion. The Hartke is not that.

Have a look at the Barefaced Big Baby 2. I have the Big Twin (2x12) and it is absolutely monstrous tight and loud as an 810 but light and reasonably compact.
Bergantino and Aguilar are also brands worth mentioning. Very solid sounding cabs.

I prefer using one vertical 2x12 cab to two 1x12 ones because I do not have to lift it but rather tilt it into the back of my car.
Also because I never have to consider taking one or two cabs to certain gigs. The choice simply does not exists and I like things to be simple.
Besides that the 2x12 weighs 21kg (little over 46lbs) so I can carry it with one hand if I want.

My 2 cents.

Reaction score
I be of the desire to make big noises with smaller and smaller cabs. I currently am possessing a 4X10, a 2X12 and a 2X10. The 4X10 and the 2X12 are likely to get the boot outta here soon so I am looking at much smaller, lightweight cabs. I am an electric 4string player. What is your favorite 1X12 cab? I have looked at the FearFuls but don't know if I want to plunk down $1000+ dollarays on a cabinet. There's a Hartke HyDrive 112 sitting in the one and only local guitar shop here in town. What do you think of this cab or what experiences can you share with me about 1X12's that you have used?
Thanks my cheeky monkeys!!

If its down at your local shop why not take your head and bass and get acquainted with it? Sound is subjective so only you can decide if its what you are looking for.

Reaction score
Thanks thee who walk with Thunder {I am talking to both youse guys}. DiM (who hath only half a face): your comments are worth AT LEAST 2.5 cents!!
Maresof theNight: Yes, that is my evil plan. Murder their ears with my head and Corvette until submission is their only option and they shriek: "Discount Price! DISCOUNT PRICE!!!"

Reaction score
Thanks thee who walk with Thunder {I am talking to both youse guys}. DiM (who hath only half a face): your comments are worth AT LEAST 2.5 cents!!
Maresof theNight: Yes, that is my evil plan. Murder their ears with my head and Corvette until submission is their only option and they shriek: "Discount Price! DISCOUNT PRICE!!!"

Sounds like a perfect plan. make sure you are loud and obnoxious like the guitarist who frequent music shops. And always slap the bass for demo, Always ha ha

Reaction score
the report will go like this:
And he approached with foul stench, leaving only carnage behind, and as he plugged and began repeating the terrible sound, the shreiking rose to such a clamor, as they screamed in terror" No, No, let it NOT BE, Playeth NOT Smoke on the Water incorrectly again" and the foul beast continued his destruction of their souls....and their minds.

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I have the Genzler Bass Array 12-3 cabs and love them. I am using the Genzler Magellan 800 to power a pair.

Reaction score
The Genzler Bass Array 12-3 sounds good on the YT review but the price is up there.
I checked the Barefaced vid on their website and that is definitely a wow, especially when throwing in a 212 Victory cabinet without changing settings. Check it out yourselves but the perceived output of the BF vs the Victory is an eye opener.

Reaction score
Just checked, there is a couple BF's on ebay........from Japan.........$2300 for a Big Baby and $3000+ for a Big Twin. Holy cripes-Yikes!! I need to limit my choices by lowering the price tag. I already have too many cabinets and will soon be close to giving them away just to move them out of here. Trouble times, my people, troubled times.

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Yah a lot of the single 12 cabs are pretty pricey.

Reaction score
Also, being here in the US limits our access to these cabinets without driving the price extremely high and it's a no live test situation. We pretty much have to order one to get in front of one directly. Again, though, in the Barefaced vid it is an eye opener when he walks around the room with the mic and the only noticeable change in tone is when the mike is directly inline with the front of the cabinet. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Top Bottom